New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

That’s excatly what I just did and it seems to be working. I’ll be playing with again later tonight and we’ll see how it goes, thanks!

Eventually I think I’ll be going to a Synology box and not messing with a Windows computer as the storage device. Am I wrong to assume that would be a more ideal solution?

Yeah smb are ok but not the best menthod.

Dlna great for  sharing to device like a android tablet but you tend to need a decent client software on the other end.

Synology box are very nice and work great but they can be quite costly.

A possiablely cheaper and upgradeable mtnehod is to use a old pc and set up freenas on it.

Works the same as Synologybox but your not limited to say two drives and you can upgrade it easly.

My freenas box has 16 tb and shares both nfs and smb (for windows acess)

May intemadating at first but its actually easy to setup and once done it just works.

Alos glad its working now.

KBJ2007 wrote:

That’s excatly what I just did and it seems to be working. I’ll be playing with again later tonight and we’ll see how it goes, thanks!

Eventually I think I’ll be going to a Synology box and not messing with a Windows computer as the storage device. Am I wrong to assume that would be a more ideal solution?

There really is no “ideal” solution. I use a Windows File Server with failover drives and it works great. Lots of folks here use hardware NAS’ and love them. Others use FreeNas and build their own appliance. Anyway the job gets done is the ideal solution. The point its that as long as you can get a device to house your files, and make them available via SMB, NFS or DLNA, you are in good shape. 

If you are having problems getting your SMP to connect to your windows machines, I’d want to solve that issue first and worry about your storage solution once you are sure your networking setup is solid.

-P

Magnus33 wrote:

Yeah smb are ok but not the best menthod.

Dlna great for  sharing to device like a android tablet but you tend to need a decent client software on the other end.

Synology box are very nice and work great but they can be quite costly.

A possiablely cheaper and upgradeable mtnehod is to use a old pc and set up freenas on it.

Works the same as Synologybox but your not limited to say two drives and you can upgrade it easly.

My freenas box has 16 tb and shares both nfs and smb (for windows acess)

May intemadating at first but its actually easy to setup and once done it just works.

Alos glad its working now.

I checked out the FreeNAS site, watched the linked video and it doesn’t seem too hard to set up. And it does seem a better solution than going with an addon type of storage device. For now, as long as it stays working, I’ll continue to serve the files from an existing computer. 

pearl wrote:

KBJ2007 wrote:

There really is no “ideal” solution. I use a Windows File Server with failover drives and it works great. Lots of folks here use hardware NAS’ and love them. Others use FreeNas and build their own appliance. Anyway the job gets done is the ideal solution. The point its that as long as you can get a device to house your files, and make them available via SMB, NFS or DLNA, you are in good shape. 

If you are having problems getting your SMP to connect to your windows machines, I’d want to solve that issue first and worry about your storage solution once you are sure your networking setup is solid.

-P

Thanks for the advice, and for now - we’ll see over the next few days - as long as it stays working then I’ll just leave it as it is, which is basically just sharing a folder/HDD on a Win7 machine. I’ve only tried it twice so far today, so who knows what the future will bring!  ;-)

Someone have problem with tune-in app?

On my old live i’ve even contact radiostation owners to get it working on tune-in app.

On this firmware in streaming i can’t get working any stations of soma.fm radio :frowning:

The update is installed correctly, and I have a bunch of more applications to use.

Though after the first time, all worked fine, but now when I open for example Docurama, the application remains empty.

I have rest the device to factory settings, without success.

Is this a known issue?

For anyone that is still having problems with the latest update and Windows share, I have reinstalled the update and my windows share now works. However i did have to make some changes to my computer. I am sure many of you have read the comments concerning the “Net View” command using cmd. If you, like many of us, have a home LAN you probably have gone into: Control Panel Network and Sharing Center Change advanced sharing settings and have probably set up all the advance options to share data and devices between your computers. Here is where it gets interesting. If you have turned on media streaming and have gone into the options and allowed all devices to connect to your computer you may have a problem with the Net View command. Examples are some smart TV’s will be seen by the LAN but some of them are incapable of responding to the Net View command, which will prevent it from working. If you plug and unplug a portable computer into your LAN then it must be connected to the LAN when you run the Net View command to allow it to respond, no response then failure of the net view command. This information was probably formulated before the advent of many smart TV’s in our homes. I would also like to point out a comment from WD TV® Live™ Streaming Media Player User Manual Page 36 Item 8. Ensure that the following options are selected: Turn on network discovery, Turn on file and printer sharing, Media streaming is off, and Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections. After putting the latest update back on my box I did the following: Control Panel Network and Sharing Center Change advanced sharing settings Choose media streaming options If you have a smart TV block it. If you have a portable PC that is not presently connected to the LAN, block it. Then block WDTVLive. Note: It is not necessary to turn off the Media streaming option, you merely go into the options and block some or all of the items I mentioned above. I have read several posts where the person has indicated that windows share would work one day and not the next, that sounds like a portable device was connected one day allowing a response back to the WDTV box and disconnected the next day and the box just circles the arrow waiting for the response. I hope this helps someone out there because it has completely solved my problem with the latest update.

Setup → Photo Settings → Photo Scaling → Keep as Original

Only works if the photo is smaller than TV screen resolution (photos <= 1920x1080).

If photo is bigger than the TV screen size, bigger than 1920 horizontal and/or 1080 vertical, it does not keep the original photo resolution, instead it does a “SCREEN FIT”, resizing the photo to fit the screen.

Expected behaviour was to display the photo in the original resolution and use remote buttons to scroll picture.

Photo Zoom, only zooms from the displayed TV screen (resized 1920x1080) and photo looses a lot of quality.

Expected behaviour, was to zoom the original jpg photo file and get the original picture quality with detail.

With these 2 bugs, we can never see more than 1920x1080 photo resolution.

Are these new bugs, or legacy from previous fw?

Does anyone know if this works for the live tv hub?

Thought it was fixed but it’s not, same old [deleted], asking for a login again. Rebooting the serving machine is the only thing that fixes it, and it still asks for the [deleted] login.

nycqns983 wrote:

Does anyone know if this works for the live tv hub?

If you mean the firmware then no.

not sure this will help you but when my box asks for log in I put in the user accounts
name and password set for the Administrator (on the computer I wish to connect to), tell it to remember and it does for all future starts.

Long time user, first time poster:

Just updated to the new 2.01.86 firmware on the SMP.  I am using Plex Media Server’s (Plex 0.9.8.14.263-139ddbc) DLNA client to serve my WD TV Live SMP.  I use PLEX mainly because we also have a Samsung Smart TV in the house and the PLEX client provides the best interface for that devce.

I stream mkv files with DTS/AC3 and only use subtitles when there is a forced english subtitle track.  The WD TV SMP reads the embedded forced .srt subtitles in the mkv’s with no problems.  PLEX requires the subtitles to be external and with a language tag.  So I keep both - in the mkv and externally next to the movie file.

After the firmware update on the SMP, mkv files with .srt subtitle and a DTS audio track will have the audio display as AAC.  The receiver sees stereo.  When I went into PLEX and turned subtitles to “Manually selected” it fixed the problem with the WD TV SMP so that it sees the DTS track, but now I can’t get the forced subtitles in PLEX clients unless I manually select them. 

It’s not a tremendous deal…but this was not a problem before the firmware update, and now it is.  I have seen the same results in two separate home environments that use Samsung TV’s with PLEX and other TV’s with WD TV SMP’s.  I’ll report to PLEX as well.

LOL, I updated to the new firmware.  Said to my wife, sounds like they might have got this thing together finally.  She said, yeah sure, this will fix something, but, something else will break. 

She was right, the Netflix stuck at 30% loading this has returned.  Awesome.

BlackDragon24 wrote:
After the firmware update on the SMP, mkv files with .srt subtitle and a DTS audio track will have the audio display as AAC.

I’ve just installed Plex-Media-Server-0.9.818.290-11b7fdd-en-US.exe on my Windows 7 PC and served an MKV with DTS and embedded SRT to my WDTV Live on 2.01.86. It shows the sub as well as DTSMA.

I’m surprised theres still no support for Alac when nearly all other music formats are including Aiff… Lots of people now rip to this format.

Paul

Techflaws wrote:

BlackDragon24 wrote:
After the firmware update on the SMP, mkv files with .srt subtitle and a DTS audio track will have the audio display as AAC.

I’ve just installed Plex-Media-Server-0.9.818.290-11b7fdd-en-US.exe on my Windows 7 PC and served an MKV with DTS and embedded SRT to my WDTV Live on 2.01.86. It shows the sub as well as DTSMA.

I’ve done a little more investigation into this issue…it is definitely an issue in the way Plex media server sees the WDTV SMP with the new firmware.

Under Plex Media Server Settings - Languages - Subtitle Mode, I need to choose “always enabled” to see the embedded mkv subs on the PLEX clients.  This allows the Samsung TV with PLEX to see the embedded subs without having to activate them on the client every time I want to watch a movie with subs in it.  However, when PLEX serves the WDTV SMP with this setting it transcodes the mkv - My i7 970 hexacore with hyperthreading hit about 80% cpu usage on a 1080p file…ouch.  That’s the reason I’m seeing AAC as the audio codec in the upper left hand corner of the screen and why my receiver says stereo.  In this situation, it doesn’t matter whether I have the WDTV SMP’s subtitle settings set to default on or off.

If I change the PMS setting to “manually selected” and turn the WDTV SMP subtitle default setting to on, then it plays fine and I get the appropriate codec, and no transcoding.  But now, like I said above, I don’t get subs on the PLEX clients automatically.

And just to clarify…the only subtitles I use are .srt or .**bleep** that contain english dialogue for foreign parts, i.e. “forced subtitles.”  They are marked forced and default within the mkv.  PLEX requires subtitles to be external with a language tag (i.e. Elysium (2013).en.srt) in the same file as the movie, so I keep both handy.  I have tried removing the embedded sub to see if that fixes the problem with no luck.

At this point my solution is to use PLEX for my PLEX clients and another DLNA server for the WDTV, but it is a little annoying seeing as this used to work :slight_smile:

hi,

I am having a similar bad experience with this firmware. The symptoms include the message that “network source is no longer available” (my server is on 24/7).

What I can’t live with, is that - after this message, i select the source PC and once you click the green tick, it then seems to get stuck in an infinite loop between the slightly dark screen with a spinning arrow in the centre, normal screen (where you’d expect the folders to appear) and dark screen with spinning arrow, normal screen. The only way is to press “back”.

I then turn the device off, turn it back on, navigate to Videos or Music, and the folders are there. it feels like it connects ok, but then doens’t realise that it has connected…

I have done a few power cycles now, and hard resets.

the source is permissioned network share on a Win7 machine.

i share the views of the other users, that it is poor to release such a buggy firmware - there are too many reports of problems for it to be a one off - it ruins what is a great little box. Hope it’s fixed soon.

1 Like

Hi,

The upgrade went fine for me however now the WDLive has trouble detecting any media servers (Tversity and WMP). It is a wireless connection to Win7. Sometimes restarting the media servers work other times a reboot of the PC will work (ie they can be seen/detected by the WD Live TV) Sometimes it takes 10 minutes before any media servers show up. The media server are seen on my phone(Samsung AllShare) but not on the WD Live TV so it’s not the media servers.

I went back to 1.16 and everything is fine - the media servers are detected straight away with no issues.

Anyone else seen this issue ?? I’m sure it’s the firmware as the rollback to the previous version works fine.