New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 1.16.13 (7/23/13)

compiling media is to slow for a proper answer to this they need to allow people into the software or Firmware because there not going to fix it are they you shouldn’t have to wait two hole days to use the dam thing properly I used to love mine but now I’m thinking of getting something else because of this bloody problem sorry to post this here but I couldn’t do it anywhere else

Bill_S wrote:

Yes, another update is planned and hopefully soon.

Any news?

I’m waiting to find out what news there is.  Ping me tomorrow if I don’t respond today.

Update:

The next release is still on its way.  Unfortunately, I can’t give you guys any time frame.  However, we should know more by the middle of next month.

1 Like

Hello,

So firmware 1.16.13 is unuseable for a brand new out of the box WD TV Live, my question is for streaming via ethernet, WiFi and for a working Youtube application what firmware shoudl I roll back to?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t have any problems streaming via ethernet with 1.16.13.

YouTube, I don’t know, not in use.

New firmware is fine but does not support UTF-8 subtitle, Vietnamese language for subtitling.

I’ve spent a week stuffing around with a dysfunctional device called WD TV Live, what a waste of my time and money.

Western Digital seriously you should put a big disclaimer on the box saying this is a device for enthusiasts who don’t actually want to watch TV or Internet but want to spend endless hours messing with a box that does not stream media very well at all.

Well after much argument with the reseller these WD TV Live boxes are going back and I’m getting a refund for 2 out of 3. I cannot believe I had to remind the reseller of consumer law in Australia, but I got my refund for non functional devices.

I bought 3 of these for $129.00 each, 2 for Xmas presents for non technical people. These boxes are rubbish and do not work as described on the firmware they shipped with and after firmware 1.16.13.

I have an old popcorn Hour box I’ve had for 5 years, it does not do any internet TV, but then again neither does the WD TV Live (because it does not work) and the PCH has some trouble with newer media formats, but hands down the PCH100 is leagues ahead in functionality and reliability than the WD TV Live for streaming video from USB or Ethernet NAS.

I opened one box and they wont refund that one, but the 2 unopened are going back I cannot give these WD TV Boxes to people for Christmas they just don’t work.

Western Digital, these boxes don’t work as described on your WEB site, you are selling a defective product. Quite frankly I expected better from your brand.

What a waste of $129.00.

:angry::angry:

Judging by the amount of posts, I’m pretty sure also standard users managed to get their WDTVs to work just fine.

what is new in the coming new release?

linuxnas wrote:

what is new in the coming new release?

As this is a user board, none of us know when, or  what will be coming in the next FW release. For info on the current FW ( **Release 1.16.13) **you can check out

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

-P

I know it’s mainly complaints so just wanted to add the opposite, everything is working fine for me on both my wdtv live boxes with the new firmware and no issues with my 1.5tb and 2.0tb WD external drives connected to them. Both work well across the network too and can see each other.

Can’t say I use YouTube or Netflix on it (that’s the job of my chromecasts) so I’ve not seen those issues.

Anyway isn’t it better to have a product that gets actual updates rather than you buy it and never gets updates! Hopefully they fix them for the rest of ye :slight_smile:

So, I am reading no fix for Youtube resetting WD TV LIVE PLAYER at end of EVERY video…REALLY???  4 months latter…SHAME on you WD!!!

I have always TRUSTED WD, they USED to care about their INTEGRITY…so sad no more it seems  bye bye…

After every video you say? Gonna try that tonight.

It is a nuisance but if you exit the Youtube video just before it ends it wont reset. It will take you back to the menu.

I just got my wdtv smp. All is ok exsecpt if I turn it off it forgets the 1080p settings and says I have

no movies and goes off to rescan my Nas. I’m getting a bit fed up waiting for 20 mins to use this player.

When we will see a fix?

I’ve updated to the lastest firmware and experience the same 1080p back to 720p settings change on restart.

I also have to restart everytime I want to watch a movie (not youtube) and when I first switch the unit on I have to do an immediate system restart before it will play anything.

Shame as this is a great unit…when it works…

Why don’t you guys try fixing the on off. This thing is the biggest [Deleted] I’ve ever bought. The only firmware that you don’t have to jump up and down stand on your head and do two backflips to turn it on is 1.09. How is it after a year you still can’t get it fixed

KingT76 wrote:

I’ve updated to the lastest firmware and experience the same 1080p back to 720p settings change on restart.

You are aware it always starts on 720p and only then switches to higher resolutions after the initial handshake?

New firmware has been released.  This thread is now closed.