New Media Player at CES 2013?

Is a new WD Mediaplayer on the Road with USB 3.0 and maybe an new Sigma Chip with

xbmc build in?

Regards

Gerd

1 Like

Yeah   I think we are due for an upgrade.  Mine gets a bit more buggy/lag than I like.    Esspecially with alot of content connected to it through an external drive.

Definitely due for a new one, hope they keep all the same abilities and add games such as Angry Birds and other major services such as NBA TV, NFL, etc.

Are you talking about this:

http://revision3.com/tekzilla/sifteo-extend-wi-fi/ces-2013-will-there-be-a-new-wd-tv-live-

Are you sure any new Sigma chip will support XBMC?

Well, you have to first take this for what it is.

Which was someone posing the question to Tekzilla, not anyone saying that there is a new WDTVLive and from what I’ve seen there is nothing even showing that WD is displaying a new one at CES.

But, theoretically, yes, you could run XBMC on a Sigma chip (depending on the chip set used).

By the way, if your interested, the only thing that I have seen  WD showing off and CES is this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/wd-black-sshd-1tb/4505-3186_7-35567266.html

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/18/wd-tv-play-media-hub-revealed-by-the-fcc/

Game orientated, but that could be a smokey…

cheers LB

This was 2011

For those who may have missed the previous post, Sigma Designs announced last week that they have begun work on porting XBMC to run on their next-generation SOCs, and showed off their nascent project at the 2011 CES. After meeting with a few Sigma employees, I wanted to give more detail into what is going on.

Sigma hired a 3rd party company to do their initial port, which is shown in the picture below. A proof-of-concept is up and running on their SMP8656, and while the GUI is choppy and playback is still not working, it is an impressive effort so far. There was a significant amount of interest in the port from CES attendees, who quickly appreciated XBMC’s rich experience compared to the user interfaces usually found on Sigma-based hardware.

2011…

and now

Sigma Designs Enters XBMC Arena with 3-D SoC Processor

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/library/press_releases/120828.pdf

Features I would like to see integrated into a next gen WD TV:

• Integrated bluetooth for mice, keyboard, headphones
  • Internal drive bay.  Patriot Memory Systems has such a media player
  • Ability to act like a “Slingbox” for people traveling or on the go
  • More than two USB ports (perhaps 4?)
  • Ability to compose and read e-mail

^^ They have much to address with state of current player before adding all that!

Especially as it’s a media player so there’s no need for email.

Features I would like to see integrated into a next generation WD TV LIve:

• 4 USB 3.0

• WIFI dual band 802.11ac, support 5 Ghz band

• more aplications, example compatibility with Android aplications

• More Aplications in spanish. For example, to see films.

• Interna capacity to install more applications

• XBMC

• etc

I Forget DLNA compativilidad as feature for the new generation of WD TV Live

Hi!

While searching for a next gen (gen 4?) WDTV Live I found this thread.

Are there any official announcements for a new generation?

I want to buy a WDTV HD Live  (WDBGXT0000NBK-EESN) and was worried, 

because there are nearly no shops in Austria which have it on stock.

Now I want to know, if I should buy the gen 3 or should wait for gen 4 if its released within the next month.

regards,

Sebastian

There is a lack of sellers in the US as well.  It seems to be “out of stock”.  You need to draw your own conclusions.

I would bet a new WDTV device is coming soon.

How much do you want to bet and how long are you prepared to wait.

There are 2 parts to this answer:

1.  There will definitely be a successor to the WD Live SMP – that’s life with technology.

2.  The question is when?   Who knows?!  I think sometime well before Christmas, so they can become Xmas presents!  Most major new gizmos appear late summer to early fall.  (Unless the target date slips and they are late!)

A new device where networking just works would make the forum for that device a pretty quiet place:stuck_out_tongue: