New High Power Wireless Router - Will not connect properly

I just bought a new high power wireless router for all the wi-fi gear in my house.

The WD Live does not properly connect.!  I’m at a total loss!!

I reset the WD Live and the intial network connection process that the WD goes through took seom 10+mins to connect.

Now in Videos, contecnt sources, network share, trying to select the windows shares.  The screen has the spinning arrow for the past 20+min wihout connecting to the base computer where the videos are.

WD shows all bars full and that is is connected…

Firmware 2.01.86

Windows 7

Switch router to N   Channel to 6

My previous router instantly connected with almost no issues,

I have all sorts of options and settings in this new router.  Can I set up a special connection to the WD to help it connect???

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Dg

Update…

I just did the " Check Connection" on the WD Live.

IP address                  ok

DNS                              no

Internet Connection   no

Hope this can help guide some help…

Dg

From the looks of it, if your WD TV is set to “Auto” network configuration, it’s not being given a proper DNS or Gateway address by your router.

Are your other devices working OK?

My phone connects to wifi and I can surt the web

My printer connects to wifi

I don’t beleive the WD box does “N”. make sure your router is broadcasting g and/or b.

Ok.

Now in BGN mixed…

I tested by ping’ing the WD 192.168.1.103  in the router’s software interface…

Negative

So does the WD appear in the list of stations?  (Shown in your screenshot, there’s a clickable “2” under WLAN Connections"

That number has since changed.  Now sits at 3.  Here’s a screen!

Thanks

I, too, have an upscale N-dual-band router.  The WD uses N-band at the 2.4GHz frequency, and not the 5GHz band.  I have my 2.4G and 5G bands set differently.  They emit their own SSID signals so I can tell which is which and can connect to one or the other.

Here is a screen shot of my 2.4GHz settings.  See if gives you some insight.  Any questions; let me know.

This screen shot explains the Wireless Mode setting of my router.

wireless mode.JPG

Still no luck with those settings…

Connection Test =

IP address                 ok

DNS                             x

internet connection   x

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

Wow, too bad.  Everything else connects with these settings, right?  Nevertheless, I suggest you keep the router set to these for 2.4G.  I did a lot of research about all these weird router settings, and know that these are the most appropriate ones.  I don’t know what to suggest next, except that if you dinked around with lots of other router settings, that could screw things up.  If so, I suggest to bring the router back to the defaults and make the minimal changes other that the typical ones to set up your network.  To help you out, I have attached a screen shot of my 5GHz settings as well.  As I said before, my two bands have unique SSIDs to keep them distinct (although they have the same password to keep it simple!)

I made a change to my router setting after I posted the pics for you.  I changed Wireless Mode from Auto to N-Only.  Reason being, is because all wireless devices in home now are N-capable  – except for an old XP laptop tthat is G-capable and that is wired to network and never uses wireless here anymore.  If you have only all N-devices, you might also want to change your router wireless setting to N-Only to simplify things for the router.

My 5GHz settings

Phone wifi connects and I can surf the web, no issue

Printer connects wireless, no issue

WD connects only IP address - connects.

I dont have a 2.4 or 5 GHz setting.

At the rear of my router has a switch with 3 settings. Power regulation button.

x1 x5 x10

I am set to 10 to get the signall up a floor to reach the WD.

Thanks!

PROBLEM SOLVED...

I RETURNED AND BOUGHT ASUS RT N66U - THE DARK KNIGHT.

THAKNS

Ho, I see you “got the hint”!   :wink:   If you have any questions about setting it up, I and others here use this router.

It rocks!

Thanks

It worked right out of the box! I don’t know if I should monkey around with the settings as it wokring as is.

I updated the firmware and that’s about it.

Can this router been set to turn off and on at scheduled times?

Thanks

Dg

There are a few things to monkey with, but you better have it a while until you understand it before you do.  Meanwhile, send me a PM with your phone number and best time to call and I will help you get it tweaked to perfection.