Network shares again

Hi, just bought a second hand live streaming media player with in built wifi, I also have the first generation of this model without in built wifi. I use windows xp. My first gen model is able (eventually) to access network shares, sometime means turning off and on again before connecting, but manages to access in the end and am able to access all of my film files, most are avi, some mkv etc.

I want to use netflix and spotify so bought this later model, am able to use spotify and netflix and can access my pc as a media server but won’t access as through network shares, I just get the annoying circling arrow.

What baffles me is how can I get network shares on my 1st gen but not on the later model, any suggestions would be welcome

Thank you

Hello,

Have you updated the firmware on the media player? if so, then try doing a power cycle and/or a reset.

I, with the help of others, solved it:  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WD-TV-Live-keeps-losing-network-shares/m-p/818127

Sussed it. I nearly gave up but remembered something about the workgroup name needing to be the same on the WD and PC, these were different on mine, changed the WD from ‘WORKGROUP’ to ‘MSHOME’ and hey presto I can access network shares, all folders are there. The next problem to solve is in trying to view one of the files, it’s taking ages to play, just the spinning arrow, where a different format played pretty much the straight away.

Won’t play my DVD rips which are VOB’s, stutters during playback, disappointed, my first gen WD plays them without a problem.

May sell this on now, spent 3 hours on this thing this evening…

Make an ISO of your Vobs and try again.