Network drive browsing progressively slows down

Has anyone noticed the longer their TV Live is powered, the more sluggish the file browser becomes?  I have mine wired to a network drive over Ethernet and at some point navigating through directories and selecting a video to play becomes so slow it’s unusable.

The solution?  I unplug the Live’s power for a few seconds and start it up again…problem solved.  This has occurred numerous times and while I haven’t kept track, it takes a few weeks for this to occur.  The network drive is also used by my computers and never has performance issues.  Also, Netflix on the Live never has any issues.

I do keep up with firmware updates, but this issue never changes.

Define longer. I’ve been running it for long movie nights (4-5 hours) without any of this issues.

Techflaws wrote:

Define longer. I’ve been running it for long movie nights (4-5 hours) without any of this issues.

I’ll quote what I said in the original post:  “This has occurred numerous times and while I haven’t kept track, it takes a few weeks for this to occur.”

It’s not something that happens in one night.  This happens after the unit is continuously powered (not necessarily “on”) for weeks.  

There’s not many other reasons for this to happen except a firmware bug.  What else would cause navigation within a directory to be slow and unresponsive unless I power cycle the unit?

I WAS having this issue – turns out, in my case, it was my NAS’s fault.

My NAS was configured to use Recycle Bin (keeping deleted files for later recovery.)

Took me months to figure this out, but it turns out there were over 1,000,000 files in my recycle bin (tiny database journal files, mostly). 

The WD is constantly updating the DB which generates journal files which are quickly deleted.     The NAS was slowing down due to the recycle bin being so massive.

At any rate, I turned off the recycle bin – problem solved.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I WAS having this issue – turns out, in my case, it was my NAS’s fault.

My NAS was configured to use Recycle Bin (keeping deleted files for later recovery.)

Took me months to figure this out, but it turns out there were over 1,000,000 files in my recycle bin (tiny database journal files, mostly). 

The WD is constantly updating the DB which generates journal files which are quickly deleted.     The NAS was slowing down due to the recycle bin being so massive.

At any rate, I turned off the recycle bin – problem solved.

That’s a good thought, although mine doesn’t have that feature and it doesn’t explain why accessing the NAS through my computers has always been fast.  Or why power cycling the WD immediately fixes it.

jrmymllr wrote:
This happens after the unit is continuously powered (not necessarily “on”) for weeks. 

Well, that explains the difference cause I turn mine off completely every day (power strip).

Techflaws wrote:

jrmymllr wrote:
This happens after the unit is continuously powered (not necessarily “on”) for weeks. 

Well, that explains the difference cause I turn mine off completely every day (power strip).

I do this on another identical unit that is used less frequently, and never see the problem there either.  It drives me nuts how warm these things are when they’re “off” which tells me they’ve using several watts even when “off”.

By “off” u mean in standby - placed there a short power button press.

A hard off (long press on power off) leaves unit cold to the touch - awaiting the wonderful double boot when I switch it on! Solves memory leak problems too!

Double boot? The screen turns black during the HDMI handshake.

AlcAm wrote:

By “off” u mean in standby - placed there a short power button press.

A hard off (long press on power off) leaves unit cold to the touch - awaiting the wonderful double boot when I switch it on! Solves memory leak problems too!

Yes standby.  However, as far as I know, there is no way to make mine turn almost completely off.  I believe those might be newer units although I need to verify.

I wish WD would just fix their memory leak problem instead.  I suppose things could be worse though.