Network Sources stopped working after firmware update

Hi, Today I updated to the latest firmware ( 2.01.86 ).

After updating, I can no longer find my windows shares.

I have 3 different computers with shared folders, and they can all access on another (the WDTV used to be able too!)

and ever since the update, the screen is on this looking for shares mode, with this refresh icon just turning round 'nd round.

I tried shutting off and on

I tried resetting the network information

I tried forgetting all the network shares.

I tried resetting ALL settings back to factory default.

Non seemed to work.

What to do? I can not use the device without network shares!

Thanks.

Same here…

Please fix this Quick.

The box is near to useless right know.

i had many sharing issues last year with my wd tv live…

first of all my wd could not see my pc on windows shares…i am a windows 8 user…

i tried everything i read in this forum but nothing worked…

finally i found a way to share my contents reseting to factory settings everytime i needed to watch something…

i was hoping wd to fix this issue on windows 8 for at least 3-4 uptades this year…

so i was happy everytime i watched a new firmware…

and very very very dissapointed after update…

unfortunatelly every time i updated this wd tv live things got worse and worse…

i think wd finally made it with this firmware…!!!my tv live is tottaly useless…!!!

it cannot see my sharings…tried everything…!!!

WD why are you doing this?

is there anybody to  fix it or tell us the solution???

i can see no solution for over a year…!!!

i paid 100 euros for this player…!!!

if you are a serious company you MUST fix this

iT IS NOT A WINDOWS PROBLEM…IT IS WD PROBLEM FOR SURE…IT WAS WORKING BEFORE UPDATE EVEN IF I HAD TO RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS EVERY TIME…!!

PLEASE MAKE IT WORK.

machette wrote:

iT IS NOT A WINDOWS PROBLEM…IT IS WD PROBLEM FOR SURE…

Then why do I not have the problem on any of my updated SMPs?

I have three Windows PCs on my network, 6 NAS boxes, and 1 Linux server – the SMP has no trouble seeing any of their shares.

My guess is, before the update, the SMP was acting as the master browser, and then when it went offline during the upgrade, some other device on your network tried to become browser and is not working.

See if this tutorial for troubleshooting helps:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

TonyPh12345

1. I went through your post, it was no help (everything was normal)

2. If you look around you will see many people ran into this problem right after firmware update, after reversing to the older firmware it worked again.

This bring me to the question - why would you insist it’s a personal network issue?

If for some reason it works for you, i’m sure everyone are happy for you, but don’t patronize with useless tutorials.

ranho wrote:

TonyPh12345

If for some reason it works for you, i’m sure everyone are happy for you, but don’t patronize with useless tutorials.

Is this you

What to do? I can not use the device without network shares!

Thanks.

Then when somebody attempts to help, you then call it patronizing! With that attitude I think you may find yourself on your own.

@ranho:

It’s not an useless tutorial, even if it was of no use to you, I find it very usefull.

Finding a malfunction master browser is a wild goose chase without the tutorial.

I never had to use it, but it’s the first time I’ve found a tutorial that can show where the Master Browser is, instead of just saying ppl to turn off random computers, it can show the problem, if it exists there.

You must realize that Tony is trying to help you, no one can guess the root of one problem, he thought the problem was the master browser, the tutorial is the only way to see if the MB is running ok and where it is.

The other option would be to turn off all machines and random turn them on, doing this several times and hope it works.

Edit:

Did you tried to turn off all network machines?

Then turn on first a windows 7 computer (you could also turn off win firewall, we don’t know if you have the default firewall or reconfigured it).

Then turn on the WDTV and see if it works.

I’m not saying it will work, it’s  just another try.

To turn WDTV off/on, you must pull the power plug, pressing the remote control power button only puts it in standby.

We can’t say for sure the problem is from WDTV, because there are others with networks shares and without any problems.

You must also realize that Tony took the trouble to write that troubleshooting guide which means that he is trying to help other users and more importantly shows his knowledge of networks etc. 

You can either take advice / suggestions which may or may not result in success or continue to moan about WD and other users which in the long run gets you nowhere and certainly does not get your player up and running as it should.

machette wrote:

iT IS NOT A WINDOWS PROBLEM…IT IS WD PROBLEM FOR SURE…

Which is why I could update two devices in two separate Windows networks without any issues.

i have no idea how or why it works for three days now…!!

it s been a whole year since it was going wrong…

wd contacted with me via email…!!!

i hope it goes nice from now on…

i am happy i saw that wd cares about my problem…