Netflix in the UK (Cant connect - yes another)

I am getting this error as well (502). Unable to connect to Netflix. Try again later. 

I have a UK version of WDTV Live SMP with the latest v1.07 firmware (just upgraded). 

I am IN THE UK.

I HAVE A UK Account with Netflix.

I CAN SEE both Netflix & BBC iplayer apps OK (iplayer works fine).

But I CANT connect to Netflix.  Just won’t connect to let me sign in.

It has been like this for two weeks now since I bought this wretched box with the sole aim of watching Netflix.

I got it working last week by changing my DNS to 208.122.23.22 as per information elsewhere in this forum; but then I got hit by the “Loss of Netflix Credentials” that WD STILL LHAVE NOT FIXED SINCE LAST OCTOBER.  However I have no intention of paying $4.99 per month to Un-Block for the honour of using their DNS.

It should work but it doesn’t

WHY NOT WESTERN DIGITAL???

That is exactly the same as me.  Bought two weeks ago from Dabs.Outlet on Ebay and gone through the same steps as yourself.   Tried every setting on my wireless router I can think of  but it is not the routers problem.   I can get onto netflix on my PC, my laptop and my son’s Playstation 3.  The SMP is connected to the wireless network so why can’t it connect? 

It is ridiculous that I have spent about £80 on a device which doesn’t provide the services it advertises. 

bjlabuk

Guys, calm down.   This is NOT a WD issue… this is a NetFlix issue.  WD doesn’t write the NetFlix app; it loads the app from the NetFlix servers.

This error often indicates the WD cannot set its internal clock, and thus cannot set up a secure link with NetFlix .

Is the On-Screen clock correct for your timezone?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Is the On-Screen clock correct for your timezone?

yes it is. got the same 502 message. not bothered as i don’t want to use netflix but thought i’d add my name to the users who can’t access the app

Well, after installing the latest firmware version last night I noticed it wasn’t.   But I have changed the system time zone to the UK correct time, restarted the SMP,  checked the connection status and have 3 green ticks, and still can’t connect to Netflix.

Throwing this as a suggestion, suppose when I first tried to access Netflix from the SMP I had my router DNS address set to the Unblock-us.com address.  I managed to log into my account and got access to the Netflix US library.  The Netflix server thereafter associates my account with a US address through some geolocation app, even though a check on ip2location.com would place me in the UK.   When I have then changed to the Google public DNS or OpenDNS address or my own ISP DNS address in the UK, Netflix are not matching my account to the address they have associated with my account,  so Netflix aren’t allowing the SMP to load the app from their UK server?   

Don’t know whether i have got the technical details quite correct but would it be better to contact Netflix and get them to change my account details?    I am only on a months trial period at the moment but don’t see any point continuing if I can’t stream movies onto my TV.

I have the same problem. For some reason it is having problems logging into the UK site. I rang up Netflix and they suggested I roll back my firmware to the one that worked done that and still wont log in. Where as I could connect to Netflix every time it now takes me 20 to 30 attempts before I get logged in.

What I find strange is why didn’t the firmware roll back fix the problem with Netflix. I have 4 friends with WD boxes and since the update all of them are having the same problem with Netflix, all the other apps work ok,it is just Netflix that is the problem.

Same here error 502.

Hi,

Same here, error 502. Very disappointed.

Regards

Hayden

This will be my last post here.

Contacted Dabs Outlet through Ebay, explained the problems I had had and they authorised me returning the SMP under the Distance Selling Regulations.  Posted it back this afternoon for a full refund.

Can’t really say more other than if the the WD SMP box has a Netflix logo pictured on it then I expect to be able to connect to Netflix.  If I can’t (and I have followed all the suggestions/solutions) then I think I have been misled and am not wasting anymore time.   I have now ordered a rival SMP box on which I can connect to Lovefilm (fingers crossed!!)

Good luck to all those having problems and I hope there is a resolution soon.

bjlabuk 

@TonyPh12345

I’m sorry mate but on this occasion you are wrong.

It is a WD issue. I have spoken to them about this, they have taken it on as a WD issue and have escalated the issue with their internal engineering team. If and when I get updates I’ll let you all know.

I rang WD today and they thanked me for the call,plus they confirmed they have been inundated with calls about this matter. I have only had my unit a week if the problem is not solved by monday I shall ask either for a refund of a replacement box with the original firmware.

I rolled back my firmware and it loaded ok but I did notice the unit is not wiped clean as I did not have to put in my user name or password on my accounts again This is a major flaw in the way the firmware works. Usually a system is wiped so returning everything back to normal.

This is not the case with WD firmware.

Glyn007 wrote:

I rang WD today and they thanked me for the call,plus they confirmed they have been inundated with calls about this matter. I have only had my unit a week if the problem is not solved by monday I shall ask either for a refund of a replacement box with the original firmware.

I rolled back my firmware and it loaded ok but I did notice the unit is not wiped clean as I did not have to put in my user name or password on my accounts again This is a major flaw in the way the firmware works. Usually a system is wiped so returning everything back to normal.

Actually, that is working as intended.  Too many people were complaining that they had to re-input their services info after an update, so we changed it to where they didn’t have to. 

Bill_S wrote:

Glyn007 wrote:

Actually, that is working as intended.  Too many people were complaining that they had to re-input their services info after an update, so we changed it to where they didn’t have to. 

I am a computer engineer and for a fix to work correctly a firmware roll back generally works by wiping the system totally if any relevance to the previous version remains the firmware roll back will not work. Which is the case with WD,and as you say if it is working as intended then the ROLL BACK IS NOT A FIX. Which means the only way to fix the problem is to exchange your unit for one with the factory default firmware.

That depends.  If a firmware update affects the settings you’ve set through the UI, then those settings will be reset according to the firmware - whether it’s an update or a rollback.  However, your user info for all your services should NOT be affected, because they are located in another area other than in the firmware.

guys,

can you please advise why we cant get access. im losing patience with this…

an explanation or update would be nice…

thanks

Bill_S wrote:

That depends.  If a firmware update affects the settings you’ve set through the UI, then those settings will be reset according to the firmware - whether it’s an update or a rollback.  However, your user info for all your services should NOT be affected, because they are located in another area other than in the firmware.

Thank you that is what I am getting at unless the Unit it totally cleared then a firmware roll back will not fix the problem if even a simple thing as your user name and passwords being stored because if the unit can store these things in another area then it can  allow a bug to be stored in the same area, causing the roll back not to work. And I can assure I have tried the rollback  and it does not  fix the problem with Netflix…!!!

Glyn007 wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Thank you that is what I am getting at unless the Unit it totally cleared then a firmware roll back will not fix the problem if even a simple thing as your user name and passwords being stored because if the unit can store these things in another area then it can  allow a bug to be stored in the same area, causing the roll back not to work. And I can assure I have tried the rollback  and it does not  fix the problem with Netflix…!!!

That I don’t know.  But I have escalated this and another thread dealing with this issue.  So, we should get some traction on this by Monday.  Not necessarily a fix, but people looking into it.  Also, this may not just be our issue.  It could be something up with Netflix as well.  If it is, then we’ll see a fix quickly.

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

Glyn007 wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

That I don’t know.  But I have escalated this and another thread dealing with this issue.  So, we should get some traction on this by Monday.  Not necessarily a fix, but people looking into it.  Also, this may not just be our issue.  It could be something up with Netflix as well.  If it is, then we’ll see a fix quickly.

Thank you very much for your help. You maybe right it might be Netflix and it could be just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the WD firmware update.  But I am a bit concerned that the unit cannot be totally wiped,as I have said if there is any part of the system that holds information , then that section is likely to store a bug in the same area,so defeating the object of a firmware update.

Anyway once again thanks for you help and prompt replies…!!!:smiley:

You’re welcome. 

As I said in the original posting. I do not believe this problem was caused by upgrading to the latest firmware. 

I was getting the “cannot connect (502)” error when trying to access Netflix since i got my WDTVLive SMP and initially upgraded to firmware 1.06.04.  The only way I was able to connect was using the block-us DNS trick (and that still works for me using f/w 1.07).