Netflix in the UK (Cant connect - yes another)

Hello  nanas01 i dont want to cause any offence but . I live in the UK and want to watch Netflix UK and thought i bought the device to do that , also why do i want to pay an extra amount each month to use a American DNS to watch Netflix USA  i like alot of the British content on Netflix UK.

I totally agree that it could be on the Netflix side but they and WD need to sort between them for us the customer.  

For those of you having problems with accessing Netflix, I have created another thread for getting more information on your issues.  It would be tremendous help, if you would go answer the questions.  

Request for Information from those having issues with Netflix

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Request-for-Information-from-those-having-issues-with-Netflix/td-p/388877

1 Like

Hi everyone, bought mine about a week ago and was disappointed to find netflix not working giving me the 502 error. After trying the wd support suggestions (roll back firmware then update firmware again then reset) which didn’t work, i decided to try the unbloc-us week trial. This worked straight away and let me log in and start watching. I also changed the DNS back and tried to log in and it all works on the UK side now, so no longer have any problems. The week trial with unbloc us is painless to get too just enter your email address and your done so  worth a try. Hope this helps.

Hi Tbone 1234

Thats exactly what i used to do but i found that  Netflix UK eventually kicks the device after about a day or next log on.  I think once it sees the UK  DNS again . let me know if  Netflix UK deactivates the device .

Tar! 

Will do evs62 but ill be using my weeks trial first, tons of content on U.S side.

We are sorry to hear that you are not able to access your Netflix subscription and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.  We wanted to let you know that at this time, WD and Netflix are currently investigating this issue and are working to resolve this as quickly as possible.  We may continue to contact WD Community members directly for additional information regarding your configuration and we appreciate any assistance you can give us in solving this issue. You may also feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions or concerns.

http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs

Western Digital does provide the ability to roll back firmware updates on our media player products which we have seen resolve this issue for some customers.  The following page provides instructions on how to roll back the firmware:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

1 Like

That link redirects to the WDC Outlook Web Access Portal!! Please repost the correct link for firmware rollback instructions as I just bought a WDTV Live box, upgraded the firmware, signed up to Netflix UK and of course cannnot connect like everyone else.

I’ve implemented the unblock-us DNS workaround but will not be paying them for a permanent subscription so will lose access again in a few days when my 7 day trial runs out.

Please sort this asap!

I had a private message from WD last Monday which said that they would like to analyse my WD TV Live box  and send me a replacement.   This is copied below.

“Hello, we are investigating the issue that you have reported, we will like to analyze the WD TV that you are using, to determine if this is related to the device. If possible, we will like to contact you and setup a replacement for your WD TV”

I replied with my address details -  which I thought they would need -  and heard nothing more.  I was curious as to how and when the box would be replaced, so I sent another message to this effect and got the following reply:-

“I apologize. I have forwarded your respond to our RMA and developer department, they will gather all the necessary information and contact you and any other user that is willing to help us with this, and they will provide further instructions, they will device how many WD TV we need and who will be selected for the replacement.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The first message seems to suggest that I will get definitely get a replacement, whereas the second sugests the decsion as to whom will receive replacements has not yet been made.  I’ve heard nothing else since and I’m now at the end of my patience.   

It would be interesting to see who else has had such promises made/broken, or if anyone has actually received a replacement as a result of complaining about the Netflix problem.

Well it’s Netflix & WD loss. I’ve finally run out of patience & cancelled my sub. The annoying thing is, I only updated to the streamer from the player, to get Netflix. This is the last WD product I will purchase!

Same issue with my wdtv live.

I select the Netflix icon in the “service” menu I constantly get the following error message “unable to connect to netflix. Please try again or visit: www.netflix.com/tv.help”.  502 in bottom corner

Firmware version is 1.07.18.

Tried multiple different DNS options including unblock US and open dns none of which work.

Have also rolled back to v 1.06.04 which did not solve the problem. Now back to 1.07.18.

Can access netflix from other devices fine. (PC / Laptop / Tablet and Smartphone).

Have a collegue at work with the same device and firmware level using open dns and he gets access OK.

Am I then to assume that its a dud device or has something changed in the manufacture of the item.

The item was bought online. Is there a way to tell if its a UK device or if someone is shipping in devices from abroad and selling them on. Would this cause an issue in connecting to netflix UK.

joecru

Re: Request for Information from those having issues with Netflix [ Edited ]

Options

a week ago - last edited Wednesday

I have 2 WD Live Streamers one works ok with Netflix UK and the other one dosen’t both have latest Firmware the only difference is the model numbers.

WDBGXT0000NBK - 01 - UESN …this one works fine with Netflix UK bought from Currys…

WDBGXT0000NBK - 01 - EESN…this one dosen’t work with Netflix and displays the 502 error when trying to access Netflix. I purchased this from a UK company online

http://www.tbdol.co.uk/western-digital-wdbgxt0000nbk-tv-live-streaming-media-player-p-6319.html. When you lookup the codes it says.

The UESN and EESN  isn’t actually on the device its on the box the device came in.

UESN is UK and EESN is European …I have contacted the company I purchased the device from and asked them to replace it with the UESN model as there must be some code burn’t into the device to disable Netflix UK. Please can someone let me know if I am wrong about this and if theres a fix. It would save me a lot of trouble…

Would also like to add that I have had both boxes working with US Netflix using us-unblock. But its a bit hit and miss as you keep having to reactivate the devices on the us-unblock web site and its only a trial which runs out in a week.

I am in the UK with a UESN model purchased from Scan UK 10 days ago and I cant connect to Netflix (error 502) so that blows your theory out of the water,sorry!

DracUK

Now this is interesting. Have had the 502 error on Netflix since I bought the box a month ago. Today my broadband got updated from Sky ADSL to Sky Fibre. And Netflix now works!

Maybe this is an issue with IP addresses on Sky or a router problem (a new router comes with the fibre installation). Either way, I’m working for the moment at least.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Netflix-UK-NOW-WORKING/m-p/397079

A few customers have sent me private messages indicating this issue is fixed today. Please reset your devices to factory default and try to launch Netflix.  You shouldn’t need to use unblock-us to access Netflix. If it is still not working please send me a private message and I will look into your specific scenario. Thank you.

I didnt need to reset my device it just started working,no more error 502

DracUK

working fine for me now too- no reset needed

Thank the lord ! Seems ok now Netflix UK working ,love to know what it was!

Thanks to technical support in WD - It is working for me too

Yay - okay it’s been *ages* getting fixed and we’re none the wiser as to the root cause but *boy* am I glad it’s fixed. And that, I guess, is the important thing. Thank you WD Support, just er, fix the reboot on video playback issue now yeah :wink: ?

Much love,

Happy Customer