NAS Accessible As Network Shares On Older Model WDTV Live But Not On Newer Model (Please Help!)

This makes no sense to me I hope somebody can provide some insight…

I have a WD HDTV WDBAAN0000NBK-00 which can access the network shares on my Netgear Ready NAS 104 &  DLink DNS 321 without issue.

I needed another WDTV so I bought a WDBHG70000NBK-02 which can find both as media servers, but not as network shares.

I really prefer network shares because it sees and plays all files, where as accessing via Media Server doesn’t.

Did Western Digital disable this type of connectivity in the newer model?

Please see pics detailing the settings on my Netgear NAS.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks!

Sure the Live SMP can connect by network shares both cifs and nfs(linux) (nfs needs to be enabled in the setup menu)

This setting is found in the Setup>System>Network menu. It is the last item.  If I remember correctly you have to scroll down to the next page to find it. It is turned off by default.

Thank you. I’ve tried enabling the Linux shares before. I am able to do that, the WD finds my NAS IP (192.168.1.106), but the folders it connects to have no videos in them (when I initially selected the video option on the homescreen of the WD).

Please see the pictures below (sorry for the camera shake). It seems like the WD is accessing the Linux OS folders rather than the shared folders on the NAS. For example, I don’t know where those Videos and Videos 1 folder are, but neither of them or these other folders contain any video media.

Any Thoughts?

My NAS is a Synology so I cant give specific answers for your Netgear.  However the videos that I share via nfs are not in the “movies” folder of my media server (DLNA) (Twonky). I only use the media server for photos,MP3s and mp4/mv4 videos for mobile devices. Videos for the WDTV are in a seperate folder as 995 of them are mkv and not often handled well by media servers or mobile devices without transcoding.

Be advised that you most likely have to explicitly enable both cifs and or nfs access with appropriate permissions on the nas for the WDTV to see the folder contents. I presume Netgear is simular to Synology and is accomplished thru a web interface.

Your photos do not show so cannot advise further.

Thank you for the response. If you look at the pictures in my original post is from the NAS web gui and the video folder I want to share, called “videos” and has the red rectangle around it, is shared out via nfs. I agree that the media server accessibility is weak in comparison which is why it’s so critical to me to get the network shares working.

And again this works fine on the older model WD HDTV. It seems Western Digital must have done something in their software programming so that it doesn’t work properly with my NAS, which is a major disappointment as their products that I normally think are reliable I can no longer use.

Do you have any further ideas? Thanks again for your help so far.

You may be onto something when you mention permissions to the NAS. I connect as “anonymous” on the old WD HDTV, I will try creating a user on the NAS and see if I can connect with that.