Music File Reliably Crashes WD TV Live [Updated]

Last night I downloaded from HDTracks the new 96K 24 bit Grateful Dead American Beauty album in FLAC format.

My Setup:

• WD TV Live wired to router, HDMI output to Pioneer VSX-1122. Latest firmware confirmed on WD
  • 2TB Iomega NAS with ~100G FLAC files wired to same router

Observed behavior:

• Connecting to NAS using “Network Shares” method, the WD reboots on opening the folder that contains the album, immediately on opening.

• Deleting the first file in the folder, “Box of Rain”, and all files play perfectly. As does the second album I downloaded at the same time.

• Connecting to the NAS using “Media Player” method and the file [“Box of Rain”] plays without an issue

• A second 96K, 24 bit version of the same song from a different mix and source plays perfectly

• Re-downloading the same file from HDTracks and trying to play using “Network Shares” causes a reboot. I note that with the first download, I changed some of the tag info but with the second I tried to play “as-received.”

• Using the “files” choice on the main WD screen, I can open the folder containg the file using “Network Shares.” Hitting play causes a reboot.

I tried Resetting the unit [not just restarting] - same issue.

And to confirm that its the way the WD is responding to the file, I copied the file to a USB stick and attached it directly to the WD. Opening local content causes an immediate reboot.

No other device - PC, receiver, TV, etc has this problem with the file.

Advice or Suggestions Welcome!

Hello, to see if I understand correctly just by opening the folder that contains all of the FLAC files reboots the WDTV, and to fix the problem you have to delete the first file in the folder? 

To be specific, on my NAS there is a folder “FLAC.” Within that folder there are separate folders for each album which contain that album’s FLAC files. I have at least 50 folders / albums and this is the first time this has happened.

So, using “network shares” to connect to the NAS I go “Music”, by folder, “American Beauty” [which is a folder] - at this point the device reboots.

If I start on the main screen by choosing"files" I can open the “American Beauty” folder and see the list of files. If I highlight “Box of Rain” and press play on the remote, the device immediately reboots.

If I delete the one file “Box of Rain” from the folder “American Beauty” the device works without a problem.

If I copy “Box of Rain” to a USB drive, attach it to the WD device and choose “local” after pressing the red remote button, the device reboots repeatedly until I remove the USB stick.

I doubt WD can to fix this bug without a sample file.

I have exactly the same problem, most (98%) Flac files play (both movies & music), but only on certain files (very few) if I open the flac music folder it reboots. Tryed updating frimware, changing flac folder names, but everytime I go to open particular flac (music) folders it reboots.

Just to update, I uploaded my problematic file and sure enough, it rebooted the WD test unit at WD’s support office. I was told this has been passed over to engineering for review.

If you can post the name[s] of other files causing the issue, I can try to pass the info along to the tech support guy who verified the problem with my file.

Regards.

Thanks to [Deleted] from Tech Support for pointing me in the right direction!

So the word back from WD Engineering was that the problem was the “file has a jpg in it”, details unspecified . Long story short, HDTracks.com embeds large high quality album cover jpgs at 3+M in size. On the now-multiple FLACS that were crashing the WD streamer, I replaced the large jpgs with ones <100K and all play fine.

No idea what the upper limit of the WD embed is - and it should still be fixed as it represents an error in implementation of the FLAC standard - but hopefully this will help others.

WMConey wrote:

Just to update, I uploaded my problematic file and sure enough, it rebooted the WD test unit at WD’s support office. I was told this has been passed over to engineering for review.

If you can post the name[s] of other files causing the issue, I can try to pass the info along to the tech support guy who verified the problem with my file.

Regards.

• *> * * *
      WMConey wrote:

Regards.