Multiple WDTV Boxes on network - Not working together

I have owned a WDTV Live Hub for the past few years and never had any major issues with it. I recently purchased the new WDTV Live to add to another TV in my household. This is when the problems began.

If I have both boxes plugged into the network, both boxes can see and play videos from the network until one of the boxes goes idle. If I play a video on either box and come back a few hours later and try to play another one, I get the spinning loading screen and the video never plays unless I unplug the box or do a device restart.

Last night I unplugged the new WDTV Live from the network and plugged in a external hard drive via USB. I tested both boxes last night, and this morning, and both boxes are now working fine that since they aren’t sharing the network!

So what could be the problem? I am running a Windows 7 PC as my media server. Both boxes work fine independently, but put them on the same network and they tank. Please help! Thanks!

I have two WDTV SMP’s and two Roku 3 as well as two XBMC boxes of different make. They all play nice together on my network and can stream most content even HD via wireless/wired simultaneously. Make sure you have both boxes labeled differently. You can call one WDTVLIVE01 and WDTVLIVE02 for example. I would also make sure you have the workgroup set the same as well for example both in the HOME workgroup along with your PC. You can find these settings under the setup menu or by hitting setup on your remote.

I have the boxes named differently. One is a Hub and the other is a Live.

Does anyone know what else this could be?

ParIV wrote:

Does anyone know what else this could be?

I have two WDTV SMP’s on the same network with separate attached HDD’s.  Either can play files off their own or the other’s Hdd. 

I have given them ‘set ip addresses’ in the modem/router so they always have the same individual address.  This may be worth a try for you.