Movie thumbnails load extremely slow in Media Library

Okay, I’m having a problem with the movie thumbnails/info loading extremely slow while scrolling through the pages of my Media Library. It happens with both the “next page” button and the left/right arrows. The Media Library will become so bogged down while scrolling through pages that navigation is almost impossible, and you can’t even select a movie. I’ve noticed that if I reset the Time Capsule, things seem to improve temporarily. I’ve also plugged the USB drives directly into the SMP, and it does the same thing, so I don’t think it’s a TC issue.

Here’s my setup:

1. WD SMP connected to Apple Time Capsule (TC) via cat5 ethernet (1gbps)

2. Two USB hard drives connected to TC and shared

3. Both USB drives networked from WD SMP and added to Media Library

4. Get Content Info currently set to manual only

5. Media Library on (obviously), and auto scan set to “during standby only”

The movies play fine over the network, and they are uncompressed 1080p blu-ray rips in .mkv format, with complex audio formats. This would seem to indicate that it’s not a “speed” problem. So, here are my questions:

1. Why does this device take so **bleep** long to propogate the movie thumbnails and info (called moviesheets, right?) when I scroll through the pages in the Media Library?

2. What can I do to fix this?

Connect via DLNA media server, rather than network share, and the thumbnails display much faster.

For example, I use Twonky on a QNAP NAS, and edited the “view-definitions.xml” stylesheet to include albumart=‘1’ in the container for video folders to also display thumbnails for folders, and it’s very quick that way. Personally I don’t bother with the media library as it’s too slow.

(via WinSCP)

file = /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/TwonkyMedia/resources/views/view-definitions.xml

<container name=‘byfolder’ id=‘video/folders’ albumart=‘1’ class=…

<container name=‘byfolder’ id=‘picture/folders’ albumart=‘1’ class=…

N.B. subtitles don’t work when connecting via media server, so you have to reconnect via network share if you want to watch a subtitled film.

Preformatted movie sheets (with the text burned into the background image) display faster than dynamic data, but require a custom theme and some software to create the images.

Thanks for the tip! That would require new hardware though, right? I’m not sure I want to spend money just to overcome the WD’s limitations, ya know?

It seems that restarting the Time Capsule every few days seems to help with the thumbnail/movie propagation speed in the Media Library. I’ll just keep doing that until maybe there’s a firmware fix (yeah right).

Sorry didn’t know your apple device doesn’t do DLNA, not much help then. But it’s quite normal, WDTV thumbnails are slow via network share TADTS.