Movie Folders

I have 3 folders on my external usb hdd that I use, 720p, 1080p, and TV, I put my movies in their respectable folder and everything works fine.  I LOVE my SMP, especially after coming from a gen1 wdtv and I don’t even use the streaming feature, I just wanted it for the ‘online’ features that I didn’t have with my gen1 :wink:

Demon-Knight wrote:

…The fact that you dont know ho to have an orginsed file system will cause you no end of problems in the future.

That’s funny.   I have over 25 TB of storage online on my network (and another 10 TB offline.)  I’ve never had a problem with any of my systems.   Sorry…  

Sounds like it’s causing YOU more problems than it is me, because I’m enjoying the functionality of my media network while you’re complaining about freakin’ folders!    :laughing:  

Well I can’t get the functionality to work so far, but I also do care about my folders.  I access my media from several different devices, so if the WD TV Live requires me to modify my existing file system structure or to adopt a disorganized heirarchy, that will impact other applications and it’s a deal breaker.  The promise of devices like the WD TV Live lies in how well they integrate with an existing topology.  If you’ve got to abandon control to individual devices in order to enjoy their full functionality, that’s a plan for long-term chaos.

Completely agree with you Toddler, the box just isn’t fit for purpose other than basic file playing.

It’s ok for basic consumer use but for anyone else that wants to do anything regarding media libraries it just doesn’t cut it.

Still don’t see a reason to have one folder per movie. It’s redundant and unnecessary.

Maybe , but…for example , if i want movies and tv shows separated in different folder…when i go to Movies folder it shows movies information etc EMPTY, and it look **bleep**, i think is not hard change this stupid things , add a function to put a background/image for folder , like MOVIES folder , TV SHOWS etc

Melandryu wrote:

Maybe , but…for example , if i want movies and tv shows separated in different folder…when i go to Movies folder it shows movies information etc EMPTY, and it look **bleep**, i think is not hard change this stupid things , add a function to put a background/image for folder , like MOVIES folder , TV SHOWS etc

Huh?  That’s exactly how I have my files organized:

Movies

TV Shows

What do you mean, it’s EMPTY?   You can set a JPG for the folder, and have thumbnails, etc.  

You may be able to manually set backgrounds and such, but by default those folders are empty, and it is visually unappealing.  I think he means it wouldn’t be difficult for the engineers to provide a default background for these folders or a means for users to specify a default background for those cases.

I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with this device and starting to think XBMC has spoiled me.  I’m looking for a device which can replace my hacked original Xbox, but this ancient hardware running XBMC still surpasses all of these new SMPs in so many ways.

Oh, Ok.  You mean backDROP?   Because my default background shows for all folders.

Yeah , its EMPTY , for example , MOVIE Folder , it show information , date, actors , overview etc , EMPTY , because its not a movie , ita a simply folder , i try change view mode , but this change view mode in all options :confused:

How can i set a JPG for MOVIE folder? , i have one , but set automatic by SMP , and this is the cover of my first movie in movie folder :confused:

Rename your folder.jpg to folder.metathumb

I rename folder.jpg to  folder.metathumb  and not work , wd take  thumb cover of the first movie on dir :confused:

Try the reverse, then. 

Rename all .metathumb files to be .jpg.

ALL? or only methathumb set for folder?

Just that folder, most likely…

I agree with some of the posters in this topic.
I have an ‘Action’ folder for action movies and all my action movies are in there.
Except I have movie artwork and other information for each movie in this folder, so it was quite messy to look at on the HD. Being that I’m a very organized person I created an individual folder for each movie in the ‘action’ folder and moved all of it’s corresponding information to that folder. But I cannot view the metasource info for the folders per the movie and have to enter the folder to highlight the file before I can see it. That’s terrible… So If the media player cannot do this I guess people have to choose between hard drive organization or a menu with instant access to the meta info. I may have to bite the bullet and delete all my individual movie folders as much as I’ll hate having all my movie files being dumped in one folder completely unorganized. *cringe*

This needs to be fixed in the next firmware update, this is ridiculous.

One2Go wrote:

… unless they are morons.

… the software douches 

Yeah.  That’s classy…

Glad im not the only one that thinks this is a mess.   The coders need to get a grip and stop adding new features until they fix the bugs, and theres lots of bugs to fix.

i actually only have two problems, this one and the one where you play a video and it stutters and stops then every other video you try says unsupported until hard reboot.  fix those and you can call me a completely satisfied customer.