Missing Netflix and Hulu Services on new Canadian WD TV Live - UPDATE

Hi guys just got mine last night from future shop and im in the same boat no Netflix or other services described. Should i even bother calling it on to tech suport? This is one of the main reasons i bought the wd.

You would just be frustrating yourself going through Tech Support.  I believe FS like BB has 30 days for store returns so you have time.  

I suspect they already have it fixed but don’t want to release ten firmware updates a month while they work out the other major issues like no media library acroos network.

I would wait it out.  

But the question is, is it a firmware issue or a licensing issue? If you browse the western digital canadian site you will find reference to both the wd tv media hub and the live plus, but no reference to this box. Perhaps some vendors got this box into canada before the proper channels were covered. The product number is the same as that displayed on the US western digital site as well WDBHG70000NBK-HESN. So perhaps this box was never really considered to be sold in canada, or perhaps it doesn’t mater. At any rate seems odd to me that it is not listed on the western digital store for canada. http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_CA/compare/parentCategoryID.13092400/categoryID.13742300 Seems that the apps are there for americans so not a software issue. The other two wd tv models have the hulu and other apps even though they are not available in canada. Perhaps it won’t be available to canadians until the box is licensed to carry netflix in canada, and that is what we really have to wait for here.

Wow, one of the selling features of this device for me was the built-in Netflix service.  I’m feeling a little ripped off right now. Why is Spotify listed when that service is not even available in Canada?  Anyway,  I’ll give it 30 days otherwise I’m returning the unit.  

1 Like

Yup me too i called WD last night to complain same story as others stated here they know and are working on the patch firmware i also have 30 day’s and will return if there is no update by the 30 days return.

*** ALL respondents to this thread ***

Understandable that you are anxious to have a resolution to this issue.

However, have you taken the time to fully report the issue via the offical channels?

Based on the post count to the actual support thread, many of you have not.

So, if you want this issue to get fixed with greater speed and accuracy, then post there (following the support guidelines on the right)!

This gives WD a better gauge of where the “hot-spots” are, and exactly what is failing.

[http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/NETFLIX-not-available-on-canadian-models/idi-p/282282

](http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/NETFLIX-not-available-on-canadian-models/idi-p/282282)

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

I have installed the latest firmware (1.04) which I received today. Netflix works! :slight_smile:

Thanks to WD for listening to our concerns!

Just did the update (1.04) all is well and hey look at that Netflix!! Thank you WD for listening I am now a happy camper!

Indeed the update did the trick.  Thanks!

I’m not seeing Pandora… anyone else experiencing this? I purchased mine in toronto, canada.

model: WDBHG70000NBK-01. I Updated the firmware, it’s 1.04.12

I see Netflix.

help! I love Pandora.

Unfortunately that’s by design since Pandora is US-only. It isn’t listed on the box of the Canadian model (except the Costco package…).

Ya … I’d love ot have Hulu but that is U.S. only (I’m in Ontario).  :frowning:

really sucky, i travel and take my hub with me to NYC to listen to Pandora in hotel rooms. 

If I return mine, and get it from Costo, will there be a Pandora icon?

I called Tech support and they said they’d flag the issue.

thanks

What does flag the issue mean? will they fix it or not? if not I’m returning this **bleep** device!!!

I purchased it with the expectation that the service icon would be there regardless of where the product will be used.

This is absolutely terrible to find out after i purchased the device. I’ll be sure to let others know to think twice before buying…i can tell you at least 10 other friends of mine are watching closely on what I will be doing…and right now…THUMBS DOWN for this WD TV Live Streaming Media Player that censors access even if it’s used in US.

The service providers already censor so why does WD need to censor as well?

Way it sounded, if enough complaints come in for the issue their developers will look at correcting it. Sounded like an unknown issue (as if I’m the only one to contact tech support) so I’m not sure if it will get any attention.

I agree, not sure why the device censors.

You’re both arguing against the majority of users who asked WD to not display services they don’t have access to anyway.

The device is advertised on the WD canadian site that the device has the ability to access these services - assuming based in US and setup with the provider directly. 

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_CA/pd/productID.242696600/parid.13092400/catid.13742300/categoryID.57123700

Had the website stated the device is different here in Canada and only these services are accessible I would’ve purchased another device. It’s my wasted time troubleshooting this and now having to return the device to the retailer who may not honour a return as it’s opened.

It’s one thing to say service not available in Canada (which I fully understand) vs not even having the option to see the service.

And besides there are other services I have no intention of using and I was going to hide via favorites. You can do the same.

and honestly Tony - you are not providing a solution - you are just arguing the counter point.

agreed… returning mine. Next time i’m in the US I may pick up the indentical device which will have the Pandora app. Really silly!

I have the same issue.

Lots of conflicting info on how this player decides which services to show.

Does anyone know how it works?

The firmware seems to be shared regardless of location so there is either hardware in each box allowing certain services (which seems unlikely and difficult to manage inventory for sales) or the box is checking in with a server to determine location and then displaying the allowed services.

Can anyone confirm whether or not hulu/vudu etc… will show up on my box if I travel to the US? I need to know so I can decide whether or not to return this.

Why wouldn’t they just let the individual services decide where you are and give the customer the option to hide services they don’t want?

vango44 wrote:

Why wouldn’t they just let the individual services decide where you are and give the customer the option to hide services they don’t want?

First, I don’t know for sure the answer to the root of your question.

But the answer to your latter question:  I’m guessing too many people are violating service’s Terms of Use where they’re using VPNs and Proxies instead. which gets past the “IP Location Check.”