Metadata not being read from mp4 files?

Hello All,

I hope someone can answer why the file based metadata isn’t read off the .mp4 movie files I have? My setup is a My Cloud > WDTV Live.  I have used a Mac program called Subler to add some much needed metadata to my many movie files and it has worked perfectly barring the fact that WDTV Live doesn’t read the data from the .mp4 files?  Many other programs do, VLC, Plex, etc.  I am hoping there is some way to get this metadata to display properly on WDTV Live!  Thanks in advance to whoever can help!

optimalsean,

How are these files accessed in your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player? Do you use Network Shares, or do you use Media Servers? Is the metadata embedded into the files, or is it saved as a separate XML file?

1 Like

The files (.mp4) are accessed via Media Servers, the metadata is embedded and not saved to XML file.  

WD can only access whatever information is provided by the media server

WD does not have direct access to the files, when using a media server

generally most media server’s don’t send the type of info you are talking about

1 Like

Ok I think I got it. So even though the metadata is embedded into the movie file, accessing the files via the Media Server won’t display metadata via WDTV Live? The thumbnails of the Movie posters I added via the previously mentioned program are shown via WDTV Live.  Any other suggestions for displaying the movies embedded metadata? 

I’m not sure that what you want is possible

you could switch to network shares

that would give the WD direct access to the files

but I’ve never heard of anybody embedding the cover art and other info into video files

so I’m not sure if the WD will read it

The Mac program I’m using is called Subler (mainly used to hardcode srt subs without doubling the original file size but its also great at adding metadata and cover art), it seemed easier than adding a network share for Mac.  I have read the thread regarding network shares for Mac and it didnt seem worth the hassle and to my understanding at computer would always have to be on?

if your using a media server, the computer is already always on

No I’m using WD MYBOOK Live > WDTV Live.  The WDTV Live connects to the MYBOOK under “Media Server” as the content source.

In the first image you see thumbnails added.  In the second you see why I’m confused that the metadata isn’t being read and populated in the appropriate areas. Not a huge issue if its not possible but if is I’d like to find out how to make it work. 

I don’t think it’s possible

a quick look at my book live

appears the only option is DNLA

as mentioned most DNLA media servers do not send this type of info to the client (your WD)

so to use network shares, yes, you would have to leave a PC on, it would be the PC sharing the data on the drive

and even then I’m not sure the WD would read an embedded thumbnail, etc …

as I’ve never heard of anybody doing that before video files

1 Like

?? I’m using SMB exclusively to connect to my MyBookLive and MyBookLiveDuo. It came with a pretty old Twonky server anyway so if yo’re set on DLNA you might wanna purchase an upgrade.

1 Like

now that we can see your pictures

the thumbnails are no issue, they are being displayed in both views

the 2nd view is intended to run using xml files, which the DNLA server will not send

1 Like

Any truth to the above statement that a newer twonky server device like a mycloud or mycloud mirror would send the metadata info via DLNA? 

FYI…According to the official DLNA website the MyCloud and MyBook Live have the same DLNA Guidelines Version, 1.5. Not sure if the Twonky versions are different, still looking.    

optimalsean wrote:

Any truth to the above statement that a newer twonky server device like a mycloud or mycloud mirror would send the metadata info via DLNA? 

I’ve never heard of any DLNA server that does, as metadata is not part of the specification.

There are combinations of DLNA servers and DLNA clients that use proprietary extensions(such as Plex) but that’s not going to work with Twonky.

1 Like

optimalsean wrote:

If you’re reffering to my posts, that’s not what I was implying. I just know that the old Twonky sucked and that I’m watching files effortlessly via SMB from my MBLD NAS.