Metadata and Goflex home NAS

So I purchased the wd live tv a month or so ago and was very happy with the thing; plays all my formats etc. I’ve been streaming video using twonky with the videos stored on a seagate goflex home 2tb NAS. I saw something about getting metadata on the wdtv which would make browsing movies a little friendlier but for the life of me I haven’t been able to get this working. Read through some posts and it sounds like I need to access my media through a network share vs. using a dlna server like twonky; but when I try and do this the wdtv doesnt even show anything on my network (whereas my other computers, Mac and pc can see it) so 2 questions:

1. Can I get metadata when serving up content through dlna? And if so how?

2. If I need to access my NAS as a network share what do I need to do?

I’m using the gen2 wd live tv SMP with the latest firmware + 2tb goflex home NAS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

No, that’s not possible.    Metadata management in the world of DLNA is the responsibility of the SERVER, and the usage of that metadata is VERY limitted.

Someone who is familiar with the GoFlex will have to answer your second question.

I had a similar metadata issue with Twonky and starting using “network share” option. 

1. If I need to access my NAS as a network share what do I need to do?

Assume you want to connect to NAS using network share option. 

If you go to system settings >  media library menu you should be able to connect to network shares. 

Once the folders are shared, you can access them by pressing red button and selecting media library option.