Media player does not recognise my Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB3 Portable External Hard Drive

Hi,

The  media player does not recognise my Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB3 Portable External Hard Drive.

How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Does the drive have its own power supply? The WD has problems with some un-powered drives as the USB ports don’t have enough power to power some drive units.

Was the drive previously connected to a computer? If so, did you use the “Safely Remove Hardware” function on the computer before pulling out the USB plug? Failing to do this can cause some drives to be unrecognised in the WD.

Run the drive through an error check on your computer (right clicking on the drive in explorer, select properties, select tools, click on check), even if there are no errors, it will reset the “dirty” flag on the drive.  Remember to use the “Safely Remove Hardware” function on your computer to eject the drive before pulling the usb plug out of the computer.

Hopefully WD will now recognise the drive. Use the Eject button on the WD remote (push eject, select drive, when green tick appears push OK) to eject the drive before removing it from the WD.

How is the drive formatted? The WDTV does not recognize ExFAT.

These USB3 Seagate drives are formatted on delivery as NTFS, unless it is a “mac” version of drive, then it is formatted the mac way.  Of course, the OP could have reformatted the drive.  I have these drives and they connect to WDTV and usually get enuff power from USB jack of WDTV.

Hi,

I have formated the hard drive as NTFS. I can see my movies files on the hard drive with my computer. I have also reset the WD media player. The WD live stream media player will  not Recognised my drive. I might have to buy a WD drive so it is compabile with the media player. I have the 1tb seagate external drive and it works perfectly with the media player.

The WD live stream media player will  not Recognised my drive. I might have to buy a WD drive so it is compabile with the media player.

Totally not necessary.  ANY working drive will work with the WD (if it works on a computer).  I do not have WD drives connected to my WDTV, and they have worked perfectly for about three years.

The fact that you formatted a drive (that came out of the box formatted and ready to use) makes me wonder why you did this and if you did the steps correctly.  Also, you need to connect the drive to a PC and have Windows scan it for errors as previously mentioned.

Thanks you guys for your help. I have now got my external drive to work on my media player. I had to re-format the MBR.

I have the same problem, I purchased 4 seagate backup plus slim 2tb drives & only 2 work on my WDTV live player. I have tried the usual WD trouble shoots … How do I reformat the MBR?? I have windows 7

I’m not sure that’s the solution cause elsewhere people formatted to GPT cause their MBR drives would not be recognized.

Hi,

1. Downloaded the  WinDLG v1.25.exe from WD.

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=307&sid=3&lang=en.

2.Plug in my seagate drive and run -WRITE ZEROS. (It started to write to the MBR and it fails)

3 Run disk managment.  

1. Format Seagate Drive. A pop message appears asking if you want to MBR. Click yes and format your external drive.

After that my WD media dive could see my external drive.

Let me know how you go.

1 Like

Thankyou Leo1-6!!
Your trick worked perfectly & my WDTV now recognizes my slim drives that it didn’t before!

Cheers for your time!

Thanks Leo1-6!!!
Your MBR trick worked perfectly & now my WDTV recognizes all of my seagate slims!!!

Cheers mate!!!

I am having the same issue but with a 4tb Seagate Backup Plus.  Brand new drive formated with NTFS, only has movie files on it.  Brand new WD TV Live HD Streaming Media Player 1080P WDBHG70000NBK with Wifi, and updated to latest firmware.  

Any suggestions?

Hi,

1. Downloaded the  WinDLG v1.25.exe from WD.

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=307&sid=3&lang=en.

2.Plug in my seagate drive and run -WRITE ZEROS. (It started to write to the MBR and it fails)

3 Run disk managment.  

1. Format Seagate Drive. A pop message appears asking if you want to MBR. Click yes and format your external drive.

After that my WD media dive could see my external drive.

Let me know how you go.

1 Like

I’m sorry i dont understand your instrucitons.  Where at am i running -WRITE ZEROS from?  Also how do i get to disc management?  

Also after i download the file you linked, how am i using it to format the drive with MBR?

hello,

i tried your solution but after i did the write zero i can’t longer see may hard drive,

what can i do, hope you can help me

Thank you

Run “Disk Management” to format the drive

If you don’t know how to access “Disk Management”   Google it

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+disk+management

This trick does not work with 3T drive. Only 2T is visible. You wiil loose 1T space.

Media player does not recognise my Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB3 Portable External Hard Drive I have tried your instructions but when I am re formatting the drive I don’t get the pop up asking if I want to MBR. 

1-Plug your hard drive into your PC usb

2-Make sure you have your folder options set to see Hidden files

3- find the file called .wd_tv and delete it.

4- plug your hard drive back in you WD m player, it will create a new .wd_tv which this time works.

Enjoy your movies :slight_smile:   (Again)