Media Library WdTV Live Compiling for ever........?

Which URL did you use to download an archived version of the firmware?

Thanks in advance.

Got it and instructions at:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,393/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzOTYxNDQ0NC9zaWQvOFMzWUJBLWs%3D

Hope it helps.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=10&lang=en

This could be a silly question, but have you check that the drive hasn’t got read-only protection box checked?

I have two boxes and both have no problem compiling the Media Library on 1.09.10 (they’re using the beta release)

I have a family member that ugraded to 1.09.10 through the New FW prompt (wireless) and his just compiled for ever.

not sure why this is happening or if there is a different between the two 1.09.10 FW’s (shouldn’t be) but rolling back and upgrading again fixed this for him.

it does seem very odd…can I ask how your family member extracted the previous version of the firmware…  As I said previously I downloaded them but couldn’t extract them…they weren’t recognised by anything I have.

all you do is unzip the file (Rollback_WD_TV_Live_Gen3_1.08.17.zip)

put the three files (wdtvlivegen3.bin, wdtvlivegen3.fff & wdtvlivegen3.ver) it creates into a thumb drive (make sure you don’t put it into a folder) then reboot the SMP.

nothing to it really.

hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for that but  how do you unzip the downloaded files…what do you use.  I downloaded them but couldnt extract/unzip them.

well you only need to unzip the one file you downloaded (Rollback_WD_TV_Live_Gen3_1.08.17.zip)

you can do that with winzip, winrar or any program that reads .zip files.

I downloaded winzip, extracted to a pen drive and stuck it in the front USB after start up.  It “upgraded” firmware to the previous version (oddly enough the screen displayed it as 2 08 17 not 1 08 17) I then took the chance to upgrade properly to the latest version again…I’m now waiting to see if the hang is cured.  If not I’ll just go back to the previous version again.  Thanks for your help…I’ll keep you posted!

Robdaly209 wrote:

(oddly enough the screen displayed it as 2 08 17 not 1 08 17)

PLEASE Read the instructions!  As described in the instructions, this is normal.

update…having updated to latest version again, turned on media library and compiling library finished in about 15 minutes.  This is more like it I thought …BUT when I looked in library only part of what was on the portable hard drive was there although it was all accessible via “files”… so I thought I’ll clear media library …it hung . . So I “upgraded” to the previous version and guess what when I turned on media library it finished compiling in about 15 minutes but only the same part of the hard drive was there again.  Tempted to give up now!

Apologies…I didn’t read that far down!  I do the same thing with flat pack furniture, I think I know what to do so off I go.

I give up now I’ve been through the whole cycle 3 times now.  Old version, latest version, old version, etc etc and result is always the same.  Turning media library on results in a limited media library, maybe about 30/40% of what is on the portable hard drive and structured not in the way it was before> For example Music reveals “all albums”  (about 400 out of 2500) whereas before it would show all  the separate folders that I had placed albums in.  It does this whichever USB port or USB device I use?  Maybe the next update will fix this I cant understand why going back doesnt?  Thanks again for your help and those suggestions offered by others.

Robdoly:  It sounds like you’re forgetting to set the “Filter” to “FOLDER,” and instead are using “All.”

1 Like

You may well be right but I’ve never changed that setting …wouldnt know where it is?  Anyway in a final attempt I chose clear media library…and that was 3 hours ago and it’s still blinking.  Incidentally the “all albums” that it was diplaying amounted to about 25% of what was actually there arranged first by numbers then in alphabetical order…just a selection of a few foe each letter totalling 600 odd out of 2500?  Is there a limit if you select all.  Thanks again

For me, rolling back to 1.08.17 didn’t help. It will hung up while compiling the media library,

so an update on my family members box. its now taking forever to compile again.
we tried my drive (3TB Elements) and his spare (500GB Passport) and both have no problems compiling the library.
my drive has 3,000+ videos and his spare drive only had around 10. so to US it seems to be something with his main hdd.

my drive: 3TB Elements - Media Library Compiles Successfully

his spare: 500GB Passport - Media Library Compiles Successfully
his main: 3TB My Book Studio - Media Library Compiling Fails/Hangs

anyone that’s having these issues can you try another drive and see if that one fails to compile too?

I seem to have made some progress:cry:…of sorts.  having given up last night I thought if I’m going to be without media library I might as well use the latest version of the firmware so upgraded “back” to that.  I’d left a 4gb USB pen drive out so I thought I might as well try it. It “compiled” no problem…I tried an 8gb same result…I thought success so I reconnected my 500gb portable hard drive (about 250gb of media, mostly music) no good…compiling for hours .  So I went back to previous version…same result.  Could there be some sort of glitch stopping it?  I’ve had the PHD scnned for faults etc…nothing reported and all content displays under “files”   Any thoughts, observations, comments anybody…it’s a minor inconvenience I know but it’s annoying me now!

Robdaly209 wrote:

I seem to have made some progress:cry:…of sorts.  having given up last night I thought if I’m going to be without media library I might as well use the latest version of the firmware so upgraded “back” to that.  I’d left a 4gb USB pen drive out so I thought I might as well try it. It “compiled” no problem…I tried an 8gb same result…I thought success so I reconnected my 500gb portable hard drive (about 250gb of media, mostly music) no good…compiling for hours .  So I went back to previous version…same result.  Could there be some sort of glitch stopping it?  I’ve had the PHD scnned for faults etc…nothing reported and all content displays under “files”   Any thoughts, observations, comments anybody…it’s a minor inconvenience I know but it’s annoying me now!

this is exatly what we found as well. basically seems that some drives became problematic sometime after the update.

we made sure the drive in question wasn’t Read-Only so that was ok. the next step we’re gonn try is reformatting.

since we don’t know for sure what’s wrong or why it’s happening, a FW update to the SMP ‘could’ fix it but we wont know til a new one comes out.

best of luck

1 Like

Yesterday afternoon I upgraded back to the latest version.  I’d forgotten that media library was on…it compiled the library from the PHD in about 15 minutes or less.  Brilliant I thought, although I have no idea why it did it that time having “hung” many times previously.  This morning about 90 minutes ago there was a power cut.  The WDTV box reset and guess what - yep “compiling media library” has been going on since.  What the flippin eck is going on?