Media Library WdTV Live Compiling for ever........?

Hey,

please keep us informed, if the reset helps. I have got the same problem since the new firmware using a NAS as shared network source.

I wrote several cases to the support. None has been answered yet. Don’t have so much hope they will answer…

Regards

Tim

Oh heck…I’ve just done a restore and now it wont even detect that anything is plugged in to either USB!

Panic over for now…I turned wdtv off disconnected everything left it two minutes reconnected and it found local storage…I’ve just turned media library back on to see if it’s made any difference…I’ll give it 1/2 hour.  I’ll keep you up to date with any changes (or not as case may be)

Still the same unfortunately…still at least I have acess to local storage restored…phew!

Is there any way to get back to the 1.8.X firmware? At least it worked then.

I also tried everything that has to do with Resetting the device / media library. Clearing the latter and switching it on/off. It is frustrating…

Yes you can download previous versions of the firmware…but they are compressed and I couldnt extract them!

Which URL did you use to download an archived version of the firmware?

Thanks in advance.

Got it and instructions at:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,393/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzOTYxNDQ0NC9zaWQvOFMzWUJBLWs%3D

Hope it helps.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=10&lang=en

This could be a silly question, but have you check that the drive hasn’t got read-only protection box checked?

I have two boxes and both have no problem compiling the Media Library on 1.09.10 (they’re using the beta release)

I have a family member that ugraded to 1.09.10 through the New FW prompt (wireless) and his just compiled for ever.

not sure why this is happening or if there is a different between the two 1.09.10 FW’s (shouldn’t be) but rolling back and upgrading again fixed this for him.

it does seem very odd…can I ask how your family member extracted the previous version of the firmware…  As I said previously I downloaded them but couldn’t extract them…they weren’t recognised by anything I have.

all you do is unzip the file (Rollback_WD_TV_Live_Gen3_1.08.17.zip)

put the three files (wdtvlivegen3.bin, wdtvlivegen3.fff & wdtvlivegen3.ver) it creates into a thumb drive (make sure you don’t put it into a folder) then reboot the SMP.

nothing to it really.

hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for that but  how do you unzip the downloaded files…what do you use.  I downloaded them but couldnt extract/unzip them.

well you only need to unzip the one file you downloaded (Rollback_WD_TV_Live_Gen3_1.08.17.zip)

you can do that with winzip, winrar or any program that reads .zip files.

I downloaded winzip, extracted to a pen drive and stuck it in the front USB after start up.  It “upgraded” firmware to the previous version (oddly enough the screen displayed it as 2 08 17 not 1 08 17) I then took the chance to upgrade properly to the latest version again…I’m now waiting to see if the hang is cured.  If not I’ll just go back to the previous version again.  Thanks for your help…I’ll keep you posted!

Robdaly209 wrote:

(oddly enough the screen displayed it as 2 08 17 not 1 08 17)

PLEASE Read the instructions!  As described in the instructions, this is normal.

update…having updated to latest version again, turned on media library and compiling library finished in about 15 minutes.  This is more like it I thought …BUT when I looked in library only part of what was on the portable hard drive was there although it was all accessible via “files”… so I thought I’ll clear media library …it hung . . So I “upgraded” to the previous version and guess what when I turned on media library it finished compiling in about 15 minutes but only the same part of the hard drive was there again.  Tempted to give up now!

Apologies…I didn’t read that far down!  I do the same thing with flat pack furniture, I think I know what to do so off I go.

I give up now I’ve been through the whole cycle 3 times now.  Old version, latest version, old version, etc etc and result is always the same.  Turning media library on results in a limited media library, maybe about 30/40% of what is on the portable hard drive and structured not in the way it was before> For example Music reveals “all albums”  (about 400 out of 2500) whereas before it would show all  the separate folders that I had placed albums in.  It does this whichever USB port or USB device I use?  Maybe the next update will fix this I cant understand why going back doesnt?  Thanks again for your help and those suggestions offered by others.

Robdoly:  It sounds like you’re forgetting to set the “Filter” to “FOLDER,” and instead are using “All.”

1 Like