Media Library Disappears If I Change Content Source

Hi,

I think i am setting up a media library correctly, but am having a strange issue - if I browse to a network share, add a folder to the media library, hit home, allow it to build the library, then change the content source to “My Media Library”, I can browse the media library with no problem (everything looks as it should with the exception of some strange filter issues I have mentioned in another thread).

If I then want to add another network folder to the media library, or even just browse it, I select change content source to the network share and then my media library is immediately removed from the content source list! This happens every time, it isn’t intermittent.

It seems as though if I want to ever browse the network again, I have to do it at the epxense of my media library! I can go through the whole process again from that point and get exactly the same behaviour.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers
Dan

[Mod: Moved post to the correct board]

quick update, i think this is a share credential issue.

if i have saved credentials for the network share (that obviously work fine to get me to the media library point), then changing the content source somehow kills them and forces the media library to disconnect, thereby removing it from the content source list.

if i allow full guest access, then i can change content source to a network share and the media library remains in the list and does not disconnect.

is this a known bug?

(i can submit more info if required)

First, I think your post is in the wrong forum. This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.  These don’t have the features you’re describing.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions

– To add multiple shares to the media library, go to SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRARY / MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER.

Also, If all of the shares are on the same server, the shares must have the same user ID and password on that server.

Hi Tony,

Sorry about that, first time on the forum and I was a bit confused which one to post in :slight_smile:

So I am just doing a bit of testing out the media library with a single share and a single folder (containing 7 video subfolders) just to see how things work - not attempting multiple shares just yet.

I start by selecting a new content source of network share and browse to the server whereupon it asks for the credentials. I enter these and they are authenticated correctly. I then browse to my test folder and choose add to media library from the options. It adds them fine, then I switch the content source to My Media Library and then the 7 movies appear on screen as expected. The .wdtv folder gets created and all looks fine so far. I can turn the wdtv off and on and the media library still works.

I then choose to connect to a new content source on the same server on the same share, expecting my cached credentials to be used. At this point, I receive an error that it cannot connect to the share. After this, my media library says it is disconnected and any further attempts to connect to the share brings up a logon dialogue whereupon I put the same credentials in as before and reconnect. Even though the .wdtv folders are all still in place from before, the media library is effectively gone as a content source option and I have to start the process again to add it back.

It is as if attempting to connect to the same share that is already connected to the media library corrupts/wipes the crednetials that are stored. Then once the credentials are gone, the disconnection occurs and the media library is removed.

lf I allow read/write access to the guest account, then no disconnection occurs - this points to the fact that the credentials are not being managed correctly by the wdtv unit. I do not consider this a solution though as the share is on a network that has wireless access and I will not allow full access to anything for a guest account. Fundamentally though, I should not have to and there should be no issue with having the credentials reused by the wdtv.

I can recreate this at will, so if there is any more info I can provide or any testing, let me know!

Cheers

Dan

It seems as if there are quite a few network related issues - are these and others being constantly worked by wd?

If so, how often are the firmware updates usually?