Media Library Compilation

Newb here, I have my media (movies, photos, music) on a Synology 212j NAS.  I would like to set up Media Library on the WDTV.  Everything I see in the documentation speaks about the WDTV building the media database on connected USB devices, will it create the database on a NAS device ?  I have the latest firmware installed on the WDTV.  I assume it will require read/write access to the NAS.   Does anyone know if it is possible ?  I’ve seen hints of it mentioned in other posts, so I think it should be possible, but I haven’t seen anything specifically mentioning NAS

I should add that I can access all the content of the NAS but currently do not get the added functionality of the Media Library compilation database enables.  Currently, I think I’ve only granted read access, so this may be my issue.  It’s just that I haven’t seen anything in the documentation mentioning anything but USB

you may want to try this thread…  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Media-Library-not-working/td-p/331053

but you are right, the permissions on the NAS need to be read /write.

i have run into a problem on my large movie library (550 DVDs) , for some reason it can’t read it all.  If i break it up into a smaller one (70 that i haven’t watched)  it works fine.  

let me know if this helps. 

d

Thanks.  I’ll try that out tonight.  I’ll post back here with my findings

Yup, that worked well.  I originally had the WDTV set to read only rights and after I cleared the connection and reset it to the new accoount with read/write it was much better.

One strange thing was the way it adds meta data to my files.  For example, I had a video file called “family” and it decided it was the Brady Bunch movie and added movie meta data to that.  I also had a home movie of a trip we took which had a file name of australia which it prompted decided was the Nicole Kidman/Hugh Jackkman movie named Australia.

I’m not sure if the best thing would be to rename my files to something completely different or edit the meta data files.

Any thoughts ?

Maybe try and separate your home videos and the DVD movies you have into 2 separate directories? 

You probably don’t want the Meta scrapper trying to match your home videos to the TMDB.org database. 

You can easily change source with the red button,  so set up your Movies in a directory and let that be your Media Library.

Then move all your home videos to a HomeVideo directory as a network share.   And you don’t have to enable write on that directory either, since you won’t be grabbing metadata.

d

That sounds like an excellent suggestion.  I’ll give it a try this weekend.  Thanks for your help !!!