Media Library Compilation freezes

Hello everyone.

I just got a WDTV Live. 

I also have a MY Book Essencial (1.5Tb). I can connect it to the WDTV, but when I activate the Media Library to compile the info on the hard drive the WDTV freezes.

Any hints?

Try to test with another drive to isolate the issue.

You could try to test the drive for errors.

Also, make sure the drive is not too heavily fragmented.

To test the drive:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940

Hi Thank you for your answer.

MY HD is mac formatted, so is there a way to defrag it? There is a way to do it on amac?

There’s enough free space, almost 1Tb! The thing is all my movies are from torrent and I have a lot of RAW files in the pictures folder. The only media that is organized is the music. All consolidated in an itunes library.

Official WD support told me to retun it, my I’d take that suggestion as a last resort.

Thanks

Try blocking out certain folders to see if you can narrow down which files might be crashing the compiler.

Just “hide” certain folders by preciding their names with “.”

Such as 

.MyRawPhotos

1 Like

otavio51 wrote:

MY HD is mac formatted, …

That is probably your problem.  Do you have journaling enabled on the drive?  While the SMP (and other Linux-based systems) can read HFS+ filesystems, they cannot currently write to them if journaling is enabled.  Since the media library requires that the SMP be able to write to the filesystem, it won’t work with an HFS+ filesystem with journaling enabled.  This has been discussed a few times before on this forum.  You can plug the drive into a Mac and disable journaling, and then the drive should work with the SMP, but some Mac utilities (e.g., Time Machine) require that journaling be enabled.

1 Like

Hi. I have disabled the journaling. I’ll try hidding the folders and get back to you.

Thank you all

Another issue. I connected another external hd, a portable Toshiba, loaded only with three folders of music (three albuns). The WDTV froze when trying to connect the drive! This Toshiba is FAT32, which I formatted yesterday just to test it.

That does not happen with the WD HD.