Mac Maverick + Sony Bravia + Cisco Router + WD TV Live + 3TB Book Essential = Network All!

Hello!
I’ve just purchased the WD TV Live and would like it to access the files from my external HD (3TB Book Essential) but it wont find the storage device within the options. I dont know whether or not I’ll need to reformat my HD for it to show up.

I have also attempted to connect my HD to my router as a USB storage, but it will not connect that way either!

I have the WD Play connected to another TV with a different (lacie) harddrive and it was easy-peazy connection! I just plugged them in and voila. It connected right away. I had access to all the videos, photos and music.

But why are two same company products arent connecting?!

So, to recap:

I have the following devices to work with:

• Mac OSX Maverick

• Sony Bravia Smart TV

• Cisco Router

• WD TV Live

• WD 3TB My Book Essential

I want to do the following:

• Have access to the HD files directly from TV Live

• and/or connect my HD to the router so that I can connect my TV live to the router…

• if there’s a way to connect the WD Play and the HD that is connected to that so that both HDs are accessible, that would be just the gold-plated-cherry-on-top!

I would like to prevent:

• reformatting my HD

• getting additional stuff

…but if I do need to reformat, what would be the suggested format that is Mac friendly?

Pls. Thx!!!

Hello caramelle,

You dont need to reformat the drive.

If your router have a USB port, you should be able to share the drive on the network and all the devices should see the drive.

Also check on page 41 of the user manual to see how to share the drive through the network while is connected to your computer.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Okay. After doing some research, I found out the following:

1. My router isnt compatible with my external HDD. (contacted the router help desk)

2. I’ve read that HDD over 3TB will not show up on the the WD TV Live.

…so. clearly it’s my HDD thats the problem.

1. i did follow the suggestion on the user manual, still no luck.

I’ve plugged my HDD to both my router and SMP. It does not show up on either and on the Disk Manager category when the HDD is plugged directly in to the SMP is still states that “No USB storage is currently connected to the WD TV”

After reading several articles and even made an attempt to email WD - no reply yet - Documents from WD state that HDDs over 3TB are compatible with the SMP (its even listed on the compatability list). Yet, all the posts on the forum prove that it does not.

I was debating whether or not i should get a new router, but now im thinking I should just buy a new HDD.