MP4 Audio questions

I have about a dozen HD MP4 videos and notice that all are AAC / PCM. Are there any .MP4 videos with Digital Dolby or Surround Sound audio ?

I downloaded a new flash mob video from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cKE8pyfcZc&feature=youtube_gdata using YTD Video Downloader using “Best Available” quality which produces an MP4 video. Original source claims to be 720p on YouTube. The video is outstanding but there is NO audio on my streamer. I have to convert the file to AVI using the YTD Video Downloader to hear audio but then the video is quite blurry even using high quality settings during conversion.

Can someone here try the YouTube video in MP4 format and see if there is audio using their streamer. My streamer says: Audio: Unknown and there is zero sound. The MP4 file plays fine on my computer with sound.

I have the latest firmware 2.01.86

I ran MediaInfo on the YouTube FlashMob .MP4 file. Here are the results:

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Ogg
Codec ID                                 : DD
Duration                                 : 6mn 23s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 161 Kbps
Channel count                            : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Delay relative to video                  : 33ms
Stream size                              : 7.37 MiB (8%)
Language                                 : English

I’m guessing "Format: Ogg " is the key to my problem. All my other MP4 files contain audio which is AAC. Isn’t Ogg audio a supported format for the WD Streamer ?

blueribb wrote:

I’m guessing "Format: Ogg " is the key to my problem. All my other MP4 files contain audio which is AAC. Isn’t Ogg audio a supported format for the WD Streamer ?

According to the specifications in the manual, OGG is not supported within MP4 files.   It’s only supported as a standalone audio file in either OGG or MKA files.

The audio part of most video files are using the codec of PCM/AAC/MP3/MP2. If you like, you can re-encode or convert your video/audio format with stereo or surround sound using Video Converter Assist program.

An alternative to Video Converter Assist which is Payware $$$

Avidemux 100% Freeware does a good job (on Video > Select “Copy” on Audio > select a Codec eg. AC3 on Container select the same one as your input file)

here’s an example…

Avidemux crashes when loading the .mp4 file. They suggested disabling something in preferences but it did not help. I also tried mkvmerge but it didn’t recognize the ogg audio track and quit with an error message.

I have downloaded the youtube video but used a different program to do it.

This is what I get.

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\rich\My Documents\Flash Mob_ The U.S. Air Force Band at the Smithsonian_(720p).mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 122 MiB
Duration : 6mn 23s
Overall bit rate : 2 679 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf55.19.102

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=60
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 2 481 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.090
Stream size : 113 MiB (93%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 8.78 MiB (7%)

Note that the program I used downloads the audio as AAC. I believe that your program changes the audio to ogg.

Download Youtube Downloader HD    http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/   (free)

if you don’t want the extras then tick / untick boxes at the beginning of the install. (just like the YTD program you are using). 

I suggest you start by selecting video quality - Mp4 video full hd (1080p) and from there the program will advise you what to do next.

1 Like

That worked !

I have been using YTD Video Downloader for ages and this was the first time it screwed with the audio. They are always updating it - I wonder if the last update had something to do with the problem. Since the program you recommended solved my problem, I’ll keep using it.

Thanks richUK

JDownloader 2 will also work if you copy a video’s URL to the clipboard. The linkgrabber will then show you all versions of the video (except 1080p atm).