Lower power "off" than turning off = wait 3 hours

I’ve noticed that rather than turning my TV Live off with the remote, it’s better to leave it on, then about 3 hours later it turns completely off!  (Note: I understand nothing that uses a remote is ever totally unpowered.  However for the sake of simplicity I will consider it completely off)

When turning it off with the remote, the Ethernet LEDs stay lit and the top of the unit remains quite warm.  I have tried holding the power button down to turn it completely off, but apparently I don’t have the hardware version that supports this.  However, leaving it on until it auto-shutsdown appears to turn it completely off.   

I have two TV Live boxes, and while I kill power entirely with a switch on one of them, with the other this isn’t so easy.  

Unless I’m totally overlooking something, why does this occur, WD?  Why not at least have an option in the setup that causes it to drop to this power state when turning off with the remote?  It bothers me that this thing essentially never powers off when it’s turned “off”, yet when it auto-shuts down it truely is “off”.

I don’t think you’re pressing and holding  the power button long enough for a complete shutdown… you have to hold for 5 Seconds (or a little more sometimes)

If your ethernet port LED is still *blinking* you haven’t pressed the power button long enough (you’ve but it into “Standby Mode” which Switches off Video Output … but keeps network access alive)

(this applys to all firmwares on WDTV SMP & New Media Players, and heck, even my old WDTV Live Hub which is running 3 year old firmware)

Give it a try … watch the ethernet port LED’s and press and hold the power button on the remote  … and you will after 5 seconds see the LED’s go off and the device power down … completely.

Finally remembered to try this.  It works!  I thought I tried this already, but it might have been with my universal remote which apparently isn’t sending the power button code continuously.

I wish WD made a settings option where it could be specified that a simple momentary push would completely power it off.  This is what I always want it to do, and it’s a little bizarre that by default it goes into simple standby.

jrmymllr wrote:

… it’s a little bizarre that by default it goes into simple standby.

Hardly bizarre, considering that a cold boot takes my box 3+ minutes to be ready, whereas coming out of standby takes maybe 10 seconds…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

jrmymllr wrote:

… it’s a little bizarre that by default it goes into simple standby.

Hardly bizarre, considering that a cold boot takes my box 3+ minutes to be ready, whereas coming out of standby takes maybe 10 seconds…

Understood, but they should at least have an option to choose between going to standby or off upon simple momentary press of the power button.  Having to hold the button for several seconds to actually turn it off is annoying in my opinion.  Not to mention, a waste of power.  I haven’t measured it, and I know some have, but based on the termperature of the thing in standby it’s hardly saving any power. 

Well, perhaps – but your case is a “one off.”  lots of people say “it’d be easy to add an option to do [this and that]”  if they did that for all the minor corner cases, there’d be hundreds of options to configure and keep track of.  :)

The same thing happens to me using a Harmony remote. I cannot completely shut the SMP or Hub off I’ve been using the supplied WD remote instead.  I haven’t been able to configure the Harmony power button to send a signal equal to holding down the WD remote power button.

If I’m not in the same room I just leave the unit on and have the auto shutoff feature shut it down a few hours later for me.

TheHills44060 wrote:

I haven’t been able to configure the Harmony power button to send a signal equal to holding down the WD remote power button.

The Harmony can be configured in the custom IR settings to do it by sending the Power Off signal for a continuous duration of 3500ms.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, perhaps – but your case is a “one off.”  lots of people say “it’d be easy to add an option to do [this and that]”  if they did that for all the minor corner cases, there’d be hundreds of options to configure and keep track of.  :)

I know, but of course I think my suggestion is worth having an option for considering it doesn’t behave like normal electronics.  But I’m just being selfish.  

Perhaps my universal remote can be set up to generate the continuous train of pulses.  It’s not an expensive one so I won’t hold my breath.