Local storage will, network share will not

What is it I’m doing wrong or have yet to install on my pc, but a file that will not play over network share, will play on a usb drive when plugged in…

What can I do to remedy??

Thanks in advance!

Dg

Hi, what type of file are you trying to play? 

I am trying to play a mp3 video file.

i have 2 seperate apartments.  Same files on both computers!

1 has a wd live and a computer that I stream from that plays all files types, mp3 avi mkv without issue.

2 has a wd live and a computer that I stream from that WILL NOT stream without ALL SORTS of  compatability issues. 

Last night in the #2 system, i was trying to stream an mp4 video that plays without issue when streaming on the other system and plays without issue when I manually put it on to usb into the wd.

This all makes no sense!  I’m assuming this other computer is missing something.  I have installed recommended codec files with no luck…

Any help is appreciated!!!

Which version of software are you running on each WDTV system ??

Setup → About will tell you the software version # in your system

Each are update with the latest firmware. 2.02.32

Nothing else has been altered.

Thanks

Can anyone else give a shot at this issue??

Thanks

Dg

Well if both WDTV are running the same firmware and presumably they are the same model unit, then unless one is faulty it would be something with the computers.

My first suggestion would be to swap the WDTV units.  That way you can quickly rule out the faulty possibility.  If that is the case then I would start looking at things like network traffic, is there any firewalls either software or on any routers/modems etc that may be causing a block?

Rob

Two questions…

Above, you said you’re trying an MP3 VIDEO file.   There’s no such thing as MP3 video.

Also, it’s not clear whether you’re accessing your PC’s files via the Network Share or Media Server content source selection.

Your title says “Network Share,”  but if that were the case, then there’d have been no reason to install “recommended codecs.”   Codecs are not at all part of network share connections, only Media Server connections (and even then, it only depends on which media server software you’re using on the PC.)

mp4 video file, sorry…

I am accessing via network share…

I have installed codecs as I had read that on posts previous to try and fix this issue of not playing certain files…

Hope this helps…

Dg

Any help out there to solve this odd issue??

Thanks in advance!

Dg

Problem is till happening…

a mp4 file will play using local storage but this same file will not stream over network share.  

I get an error message, imcompatible file.

What is going on?!

Thanks in advance!

You’re sure you’re not accessing this via media server instead of network shares?

I am most positive. 

This is an unexplicable phenomia that this is happening to me. 

Such a royal pain…

Thanks for an ideas!

I still have the same issue!!!

Any help out there?!?!

Please help!?

This all makes no sense!!

Thanks

Dg