Live SMP time off by 12 minutes

I setup my new Live SMP new years day and noticed that the time was 12 minutes fast when I first set it up.  I figured it might take some time to sync with wherever WD has the units go over the net for time service and left it at that.  I noticed last night that it’s still 12 minutes fast and I can’t see anywhere to manually set the time or to point it at a different time server.  It’s not that big a deal I guess, but it would be nice if I could get it set on the correct time.  Any thoughts out there on how I can do that?

fhall1,

Are you using the same firmware revision bundled with your Media Player? If not, does a factory reset correct this behavior?

I just bought another SMP and it did the same thing and even after the firmware update. I used a paper clip and did a reset and that sorted it out. 

Yes - I am using the firmware that came with the device - 1.15.x.   I assume if I do a factory or paper-clip reset I’ll need to go through and re-enter all my other settings again - since “factory” should mean “like it came out of the box”?  If so, maybe I’ll just live with the wrong time for a while - it’s not like I use it for an alarm clock or anything.

fhall1 wrote:

Yes - I am using the firmware that came with the device - 1.15.x.   I assume if I do a factory or paper-clip reset I’ll need to go through and re-enter all my other settings again - since “factory” should mean “like it came out of the box”?  If so, maybe I’ll just live with the wrong time for a while - it’s not like I use it for an alarm clock or anything.

fhall:  1.15.x is two revisions old.

Is it prompting you to update firmware?    If not, then I think it’s an internet connection issue, as the two could be related.

Yep…I realize it’s two versions old (see my other thread about “should I update my firmware”)…I came from (and still have) a WD TV HD Live Plus and I am two revisions back from the latest on that box too (I was actually 4 revisions back up until about 6 months ago) because it plays everything I need it to play and I read the Live and Live+ forum and saw the trials and tribulations people are having after they update to the latest version.

Therefore, I’m sticking with 1.15.x for a while at least - “if it ain’t broke…”.  I DID get prompted that new firmware exists and I turned off that notification in settings - I wish the old Live Plus allowed you to do it that easily.

Yes you would need to re do your settings. In my case it took maybe 5 minutes tops but others might be running a more complex setup than I. You can also do a reset through the WDTV settings and avoid the paper clip. 

BTW, I have two of these and I am running the current firmware on both. I can only speak for myself but I have not had any issues with them. My wired network shares (even wireless seems to be OK when I use it which is rare), netflix, picture quality and sound are working fine, knock on wood :smiley:

I agree, if the unit didn’t have a clock I wouldn’t really care either. There might be a reason for it but I haven’t crossed that bridge yet.

Cheers

The clock is important.

If the clock is too far out of sync (and I have no idea what the margin is) NetFlix won’t work.    

A sync’d clock is part of encryption.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Just a followup…Over the weekend I had some free time and tried a reset from the settings menu…that cleared up the time issue, however WD should really have an option where you can refresh the time sync without having to reset the entire unit requiring you to re-enter all your old settings.