Linux, "pushing" content from PC to WDTV Live like in Windows 7's "play to" feature SOLVED!

This post edited to add info as it seems it is a solution to the OP.

Hey hey, I found one that works :smiley:

http://www.eezupnp.de/ I downloaded the Linux zip file, extracted it, then I looked where I had extracted it to and clicked on the file simply named “CP”. From then on it was pretty easy to get it working. :smiley: No actual “install” is required :dizzy_face:

I have only just done this and so far I cannot seem to browse my local folders directly, but I do have Plex Media Server installed and I can access my audio files via that. EDIT = I now find I can browse my local folder directly (outside of Plex Media Server - It was just me being thick.

I also installed Serviio server and “eezupnp” sees that and works with it fine :slight_smile: (Though the intructions on the Serviio site re starting the program and the console (for setting it up to use your specified folders etc) is a bit vague and took me a bit to figure out)

It (eezupnp) so far only plays audio onto my WDTV Live box and even then it blanks the srenn on my TV set, but that is fine for me. As said ^^^ if I need Video I am happy to “pull” that via the WDTV box’s hard remote cobtrol. I need to see now if “transcoding” is taking place as I use a lot of FLAC and APE (lossless) files (Hi-Fi you see :wink: ) EDIT = as per the post below, so far, lossless audio plays just fine.

So, whilst it may not be a full solution for everyone, in every respect, it does do what I set out to do in the OP, that is “push” audio from my laptop to my Hi-Fi via a wireless connection to my WDTV Live box :smiley:

If I can help anyone, I will, but please be awar that I am certainly not an expert in this or in Linux. I only stumbled across this solution by dogged determination and a bit of a scatter gun approach (but after learning from the advice and info given above = a BIG THANKS for helping me understand it guys :smiley:

John in the N.W. UK