Just upgraded from old WDTV Live Plus to latest WDTV Live

Hi all, I have a couple of old, first gen WDTV Live Plus units that have served me well for several years that I’ve decided to retire & replace with the latest WDTV Live.  I have all my video media as DVD ISO rips on a NAS and was looking for something that can automatically scrap all the meta-data & has a nice graphical, multi-media interface.

I’ve been happy with my new units, they do pretty much what I want them to, but I have a couple of questions.  I’ve been searching the forums and have not found any answers, so apoligies if this has been discussed.

1. I have all my media added as network shares to the My Media Library section.  How do I assign a given network share folder to a media type, i.e., I have a /music,  /photos/ and /movies directory on my NAS that I’ve all added to my media library. The problem is, when I go to the Photos section on the WDTV it will pick up all the album art that is in my /music dierctory as well as my personal photos in my /photos directory, I want the see the photos section of the WD  menu only display the stuff from my /photos directory on my NAS.

2. How does a given rip get designated as a TV show as opposed to a Movie.  In the Filter menu, you can filter by TV shows and Movies, but when I select TV shows, it does not show any of my TV  show rips (i.e.seinfeld, king of the hill etc.)

3. I can’t seem to get any meta-data scraping for my TV shows or Music.  I’ve read some threads on TV show scraping, and  I’ve tried various file renaming schemes, but none seem to work.  My music has some meta-data that I’ve downloaded manually and some that I’ve got via a PLEX server scan, but the WD does not seem to really to a scrap for my music.  I see that there are different content info managers for movies, TV shows and music, they all seem to be enabled, not sure how it knows which contact manager to query for the info.

Thanks for the help

1.  You don’t.  The media library sorts that out itself.  Album art shouldn’t be showing if the WDTV scraped it itself…  If you’re adding your own JPGs, well, it won’t know the difference between album art JPGs and photo JPGs.

2. It determines it by scraping the metadata.   And it detects which metadata source to use by the filename.

3. Give me a few examples of file names that it’s not working with.

Thanks Tony, yes, for the music, I did add most of the jpegs in the album/artist folders myself, so that explains it.  But it still  did not do any scraping itself.

As for examples, I have folders/files setup as  follows TV Series/Seinfeld/Seinfeld - S1.D1.iso, TV Series/King Of The Hill/King Of The Hill - S1.D1.iso etc.  I have added the TV Series directory to my network share in the media library. 

For the music, I have a Music///.mp3 (or m4a, or aac).  I have the Music folder also added to the network share list.

I’ve tried playing around with some different naming schemes as suggested in some other threads, but have not had much luck.

Thanks again

It can’t scrape “Disk Numbers” since there’s multiple episodes per disc.  XBMC (I think) does that, but not the WDTV.  It will only scrape based on actual episode numbers.

Episodes need to be named something like

King of the Hill.S01E01.ext  (This is the form I use)

or

King of the Hill 01x01.ext  (I think that form works as well)

hmmm, ok, so, do you recommend renaming my rips from s1.d1 to s01e01 (do caps matter?), even though it contains an entire disks worth of episides, or should I somehow try to re-rip/chop the entire disk into separate files per-episode, how do you do it, is your s01e01 really a file with one episode, or is it a file with multiple episodes.  Also, any thoughts on the music scraping? thanks

I don’t think caps matter.

Previously when I used ISOs, I created symlinks for each episode pointing into the same ISO. But now I’ve ripped all the episodes to individual files and stored the ISOs, unscraped, on a different NAS.

I don’t scrape music info, I just use a media server for music.

ah, ok, got it, thanks, I’ll play around with a few options

Ok, I’ve playing around with the various file naming conventions and have not had any luck.  It seems like for the TV shows (as well as the music) it is still trying to use the TMDB meta source manager instead of TVDB, which brings me back to my question of how does it know which source manager to use, esp since I have not seen a way to assign a particular meta source manager to a particular network share directory.  The reason why I think it is always using the TMDB manager is because if I rename my Sienfeld - S01E01 to just Sienfeld, it will find two movies related to Jerry Sienfeld, but not any TV show listings, so I still don’t understand how it knows if a given rip is a movie, TV or music.

On a related note, is there a way to use another meta-source manager, i.e. IMDB.  I know there is a choice to Add New Meta-Source, but when I select it, it says no storage present, like it is looking for a local meta-data source.  Can I just add a URL for IMDB somehow?

Thanks