Issues with latest Firmware

I tried updating my two WD TV Lives to the latest firmwate last night. After I did so both of them took forever to connect to my LAN over WiFi, and were so slow accessing my media over a windows share. They would take forever to start playing, and than studder and stop. I tried turning them off and back on several times. I even complete rebooted my router and everthing on my LAN a couple of times. The network status indicated it had a good, strong connection.

The problems went away when I downgraded back to 1.16.13.

Please help.

Have you gone into settings/system and reset the wd?

Like any computer you tend to get left over and incompatable code or settings which is why its a good idea to reset the device after a firmware upgrade.

Its a pain to set things back up again but its a short pain :slight_smile:

Read this thread

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/New-Release-WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media-Player-Firmware-Version-2/td-p/636457

As well as a reset you could also try removing power from the player for a few minutes.

Do one player at a time to see how it works out.

I’m with DrXenos.

this last firmware seems to be broken, good job WD, do you bother testing it before?

i tried all the different resetting, non seem to help

downgraded to 1.16 also…

what a shame.

DrXenos wrote:

I tried updating my two WD TV Lives to the latest firmwate last night. After I did so both of them took forever to connect to my LAN over WiFi, and were so slow accessing my media over a windows share. They would take forever to start playing, and than studder and stop. I tried turning them off and back on several times. I even complete rebooted my router and everthing on my LAN a couple of times. The network status indicated it had a good, strong connection.

The problems went away when I downgraded back to 1.16.13.

Please help.

this isn’t a firmware issue

this is a wireless throughput issue

your network needs to be properly set up

and throughput tested

you’ll see this with any device on any network, trying to push more data than the link is capable off

also on 2.4ghz band there’s generally a good amount of interference, unless you live in the middle of noware, and don’t own any phones, etc …

you also don’t even mention how accessing content

wifi - well ok

so using smb, nfs, dnla

from what server, etc …

KAD79 wrote:> this isn’t a firmware issue

this is a wireless throughput issue

your network needs to be properly set up

and throughput tested

you’ll see this with any device on any network, trying to push more data than the link is capable off

also on 2.4ghz band there’s generally a good amount of interference, unless you live in the middle of noware, and don’t own any phones, etc …

you also don’t even mention how accessing content

wifi - well ok

so using smb, nfs, dnla

from what server, etc …

Nonsense. I’m got plenty of throughput. I’ve been using this device for months without a problem, and after downgrading the firmware, it worked fine again.  If you had read my post, you would know that. Also, I did indeed mention how I was accessing my files (again, read my post).

More likely, the issue is I need to cycle power and/or reset, as the responders above were kind enough to suggest.

Magnus and Rich:

Thank you! The reset and power cycle did the trick.

Awesome and enjoy :slight_smile:

Just dont wake the wife :wink:

OK, this is odd. It worked so well on one of my devices, but when I tried to update the 2nd one, it sitll has the issue. I followed the exact same procedure and they are identical devices. I tried resetting and restarting several times. I again downgraded the one and it works fine again.

One thing I did notice is, running with the new firmware, the device shows 1/2 the WiFi signal strength than with the older firmware.

I’ve had exactly the same issue since upgrading, first it would take an age to find my shares and then once found and I started streaming a file it would be fine, but if I paused it after a few minutes it would come up saying that the source had been lost and I had to re-establish the network share. This never happened on 1.16.13 and went away when I downgraded.

I tried all of the suggestions first like factory reset, powering down etc. but the only solution that worked in the end was downgrading the firmware.

Now, the one that did work, has gone back to having issues. I’ve reverted that one back to 1.16.13 and it is now working fine again.

Just to compare possible differences, I have:

1 WDTV Live SMP

1 Win7 Computer

1 NAS (Nas is configured never to be Master Browser)

1 Router (Router is configured never to be Master Browser)

All of them are on WIRED ethernet to the router 1Gbit LAN ports.

Maybe you could try to see if it’s a Wifi problem (with the new FW).

I can create _new_ network shares in my win7 computer and they show in WDTV.

I have a WDTV local user in win7 computer, but I don’t think this makes any difference.

Windows computer must have correct firewall and network configuration for it to work, but if it was working before, it is already well configured.

I can post WDTV configuration if necessary…

What I’m im trying to say, is that same configuration should work, maybe there are differences that are causing the network problem, but I don’t really know what’s happening…every network and software configuration is diferent.

Edit: Any combination of NAS off or Win7 off, also works well here.

Thank you for replying. Yes, I believe it is an issue with WiFi and the new firmware. It works flawless with the previous firmware. I have noticed that the signal strength in the network configuration for the device using the new firmware will show it to be 1/2 of what it is with the old one (I don’t know if this is relevant).

I’ve never had issues with WiFi before. I have an access points on both end of my house. So, I have wonderful coverage in my entire house. Bandwidth has never been an issue. Streaming a movie across WiFi typically takes about 4% of the bandwidth. I have no neighbors close enough to cause interference. I keep an inventory of all wireless devices in my home and their frequency ranges. So, I know for sure none of them conflict with my WiFi.

I do not use the Windows software firewall. I keep it disabled.

The master browser is always my Windows 7 PC where my media resides (which I access via Windows shares), but I am no Windows sys admin, so I have no clue why this is important. I guess I *could* try using a wired connection to see if there is a difference, but I don’t want to use that as a permanent solution (my house is a split-level with vaulted ceilings, so there is no attic or cellar, which make it hard to hide cables).

I could also try streaming via DLNA instead of Windows shares to see if there is any difference, but I prefer the shares for now (I may go to something better when I build a NAS next year, but not now).

For now, I’m just going to stay at the old revision. It works fine. The only thing I care about in the update is the new chapter skip feature of MKV files, which I have been really, really wanting.

Thanks.

If possible it’s much better to use network shares instead of DLNA.

See why here: Folder accessing best practice

Yeah dlna  really hasn’t kept up with the times so its at times hit and miss.

I eventually built a freenas box to avoid having to deal with flackly,dlna,windows shares and sometimes unreliable NAS devices.

Sorry, I was mistaken. I meant network shares. I thought is was the same thing. My bad.

I’ve accessed network shares on my WD TV Live via PlayOn running on my PC, but I prefer the Windows Shares to that (although the network shares seems much more responsive).

Thanks.

Dlna needa a major update and unlike hdmi there hasn’t been much going on in that area.

DrXenos wrote:

Sorry, I was mistaken. I meant network shares. I thought is was the same thing. My bad.

I’ve accessed network shares on my WD TV Live via PlayOn running on my PC, but I prefer the Windows Shares to that (although the network shares seems much more responsive).

Thanks.

DrXenos, you may want to try shutting off the “my media” section of PlayOn, or even turning off the entire service when you do the upgrade. I can’t find the post, but recently someone wrote about issues caused by rogue DLNA servers affecting WD devices and causing other network problems. I was having some issue with my SMP, and I turned off 4 DLNA servers that I had running and all my problems went away. I brought PlayOn back up (minus the mymedia section) and all is still well. Not sure of what the exact issue is, but DLNA can cause a lot of traffic on a network, so removing unnescessary ones might help you out.

If you are going to connect to your shares via SMB anyways, no need to have MyMedia announcing it’s availability on your network. I haven’t bothered to track it down to which DLNA server was causing my problem, ( Had MyMedia on several machines, plus PlayOn, Plex and a few other things I was testing out) but in the end only realy needed the regular PlayOn server running to get my video channels.

Good Luck

-P

Thank you, but it is off. I normally only have it on when I want to stream something to my Roku.

Mr-Wolf wrote:

1 Router (Router is configured never to be Master Browser)

And why is that? Since it’s own 24/7 it’s the most suited candidate, right?