Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member
flarbort

Is this compatible with a 2tb external hard drive

Can the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player play files off an external hard drive of 2tbs or higher? Thanks!

Regular Advisor
Fennec

Re: Is this compatible with a 2tb external hard drive

If you're talking about the SMP - yes, it can - though you *might experience issues from the rear port. The front port will definitely work.

If you like my feedback, hit the kudos button.
Also, please show your support for true .png's below -
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/PNG-s-do-not-display-correctly-for-files-folder-thumbnails/idi-p/268062
Established Member
flarbort

Thanks! And by "SMP" you mean "streaming? media player" right?

This is the one I'm planning on purchasing:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD-Media-Player/dp/B001JZFQU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm trying to watch a 3d MKV file on my 3D LG tv. Do you think I'll have an issue with the 3D part?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
richUK

flarbort wrote:

Thanks! And by "SMP" you mean "streaming? media player" right?

This is the one I'm planning on purchasing:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD-Media-Player/dp/B001JZFQU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm trying to watch a 3d MKV file on my 3D LG tv. Do you think I'll have an issue with the 3D part?

Thanks!

That is a very old player which is no longer supported by WD. Its a WDTV HD Media Player (gen1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Occasional Advisor
cmccowan

I've been using a 3TB advanced format and a 2TB advanced format from a 2 drive external through the rear USB port.  It worked fine most of the time although it sometimes would spontaneously alert me that the drives had been removed.  The 3TB drive failed the other day :smileysad:, but I don't see any other issues reports like mine so it was probably an every day drive failure.

Visitor
adrian81063

Is this unit compatible with a 3TB external hard drive with latest firmware? I read an internet forum post where someone had firmware 1.06.15.

Is this info god?

Regards

Regular Advisor
Fennec

Yes, it will work with an external 3TB HD.

I've used WD and Seagate 3TB HD's and both worked.

If you like my feedback, hit the kudos button.
Also, please show your support for true .png's below -
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/PNG-s-do-not-display-correctly-for-files-folder-thumbnails/idi-p/268062
Visitor
adrian81063

Excellent.... so I shouyld up grade my old gen 1 to a.... "WD HD  streaming media player " and I'm sorted to sue my 3TB External hard Drive, ...is that the right model player ?     Just want to make sure I buy the right one!

Frequent Advisor
alphabetagaga

[ Edited ]

Fennec wrote:

If you're talking about the SMP - yes, it can - though you *might experience issues from the rear port. The front port will definitely work.

Fennec wrote:

Yes, it will work with an external 3TB HD.

I've used WD and Seagate 3TB HD's and both worked.

the player might have rear port 'issues' dealing with a 2tb drive but not a 3tb drive?

Visitor
adrian81063

Thank you.

Thta's the one I'l up-date to then.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD