Is this compatible with a 2tb external hard drive

Can the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player play files off an external hard drive of 2tbs or higher? Thanks!

If you’re talking about the SMP - yes, it can - though you *might experience issues from the rear port. The front port will definitely work.

Thanks! And by “SMP” you mean “streaming? media player” right?

This is the one I’m planning on purchasing:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD-Media-Player/dp/B001JZFQU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I’m trying to watch a 3d MKV file on my 3D LG tv. Do you think I’ll have an issue with the 3D part?

Thanks!

flarbort wrote:

Thanks! And by “SMP” you mean “streaming? media player” right?

This is the one I’m planning on purchasing:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD-Media-Player/dp/B001JZFQU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I’m trying to watch a 3d MKV file on my 3D LG tv. Do you think I’ll have an issue with the 3D part?

Thanks!

That is a very old player which is no longer supported by WD. Its a WDTV HD Media Player (gen1)

I’ve been using a 3TB advanced format and a 2TB advanced format from a 2 drive external through the rear USB port.  It worked fine most of the time although it sometimes would spontaneously alert me that the drives had been removed.  The 3TB drive failed the other day :cry:, but I don’t see any other issues reports like mine so it was probably an every day drive failure.

Is this unit compatible with a 3TB external hard drive with latest firmware? I read an internet forum post where someone had firmware 1.06.15.

Is this info god?

Regards

Yes, it will work with an external 3TB HD.

I’ve used WD and Seagate 3TB HD’s and both worked.

Excellent… so I shouyld up grade my old gen 1 to a… "WD HD  streaming media player " and I’m sorted to sue my 3TB External hard Drive, …is that the right model player ?     Just want to make sure I buy the right one!

Fennec wrote:

If you’re talking about the SMP - yes, it can - though you *might experience issues from the rear port. The front port will definitely work.

• *> * * *
      Fennec wrote:

Yes, it will work with an external 3TB HD.

I’ve used WD and Seagate 3TB HD’s and both worked.

the player might have rear port ‘issues’ dealing with a 2tb drive but not a 3tb drive?

Thank you.

Thta’s the one I’l up-date to then.

@alphabetagaga

It’s kind’ve a long story.

I originally had a Seagate 3TB HD which worked from the rear port. I returned it for a WD 3TB. I think there was 1 or 2 FW updates since I returned the Seagate. I noticed one day that I was having issues with the rear port. I even put in an RMA, and used the front port for a while.

For some reason the rear port started working again so I’m using that. 

There are others on here that aren’t as fortunate as myself though and the rear port gives them grief.  But there’s also quite a few people that do have 2/3TB HD’s working flawlessly on both ports.

So roll the dice . . . You can always return it if you notice something off with the latest FW.

Personally I have no interest in buying another WD media player again, but for $80-$100 It’s difficult to match/beat.

Why don’t you use the ‘search’ box - You can find a lot of posts regarding the rear USB port and HD’s. I have written detailed information regarding the issue that I’m not going to re-tread here.