Is there a way to create shortcut files?

Hello:
I’ve searched this forum for weeks now, but I can’t find an answer for my particular question. I’m sorry if it’s already been posted and I missed it, but here’s what I’m hoping someone can help me with.

My question is, is there a way to make a shortcut file that the WD TV Live will read and refer back to the original movie file?

Here’s what I’m trying to do. I’m using the HD TV Live. I’m streaming using windows share from my home PC. I’m not using any special set up or outside software. My movies are in MKV formats. They are sorted by title now, but I’d also like to sort them by genre. I’m hoping there’s a way for me to keep all the MKV files in alphabetical order, but then put the shortcut file in Genre labeled folders. If there’s a software that helps me with that, I’d be grateful, but I’m not looking to use a program like plex that reformats my file system.

If worse comes to worse, I may just get a third hard drive for a genre based folder system.

Thanks for your time and I hope this isn’t a crazy request.

You can create playlists with playlist creator. This way you can creat a Genre playlist and your original movies stay in the same order

1 Like

tm224, you are the best person in the world.  That works perfectly.  Thanks for the help and I hope you have an awesome week.

For anyone else there are a few programs called “playlist creator.”  This is the one I used

http://www.tucows.com/preview/347143

Once again, Thanks