I need help setting up my WDTV box, having some issues?

When I go to:
Select Content Source , these are my choices:
Local Storage
–  Media Server
----  Network Share
-----  Online Services

• When I click on  Local Storage  it says “No Storage Present”.
    – When I click on  Media Server  it says “John-PC: John:”. 
    — When I click on  Network Share  it gives me a “Windows Share” option and when I click on that it says “John-PC”. And then after I click that it says:
Login to John-PC
Username: anonymous
Password: ****************
I then click "OK" and it says "Unable to connect to the select service. Please make sure the selection source is active and available for sharing."

---- When I click " Online Services" it just asks for Facebook login.

What do these options mean. I put all my videos (mkv, avi, etc) into the Videos folder that Windows made. How do I share this folder so I can stream them from my PC to TV?

I think your post is in the wrong forum. This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions

The user manual explains all of those options.

Hello,

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

The manual is very vauge on the difference between media server and network share, doesn’t say which is better. How did I have Media Server working if I don’t have any DNLA devices? I did have Media Sever somehow working before, I know have Network share on though. Wish I knew what the heck happened.

Media Server:

This menu displays network attached UPnP media servers connected to your network and usage is optimized with DLNA compliant devices such as WD My Book Live personal cloud storage and WD TV Live Hub media centers.

I followed "Share a Folder on Your Computer” on page 35 from the user manual. I never opened up a homegroup and everything still works. I’m confused on why homegroup needs turned on?

And the folder I’m sharing is my uTorrent’s download folder, where the completed downloads go. For some reason when a new download is finished and I go to play on my WD TV it says that the file is unplayble or not recongnzied. The only way to fix it is to drag it from the folder onto my desktop and then drag it back. Or sometimes I have turn of the WD TV a few times for it to play. Any idea why this is happening?

Last, I added my video folder to “Media Library Manager for Network Share”. You can add single videos or complete folders, I added my folder where all my downloads go. When I select Media Library the tv shows and movie do show up with there covers and what not. But for some reason when I add a new video to the folder or when a video is newly downloaded, it doesn’t show up right away? How do I get Media Library to show videos that have downloaded automatically? For example, I have 52 videos in my downloads folder right now, they all show up. While I watch a show on my WDTV I was downloading another video. When it it finished downloading it didnt show up in the Media Library? It wouldnt show 53 files. I had to go back to Network Shares to play it.

bal1985 wrote:

The manual is very vauge on the difference between media server and network share, doesn’t say which is better. 

It’s not going to say which is better, because it only matters which is is better — for you.   Each has its uses.

bal1985 wrote:

How did I have Media Server working if I don’t have any DNLA devices? I did have Media Sever somehow working before, I know have Network share on though.

Your WDTV is the DLNA “device.”  Your PC, if it’s running Windows with Windows Media installed (which is default in Win 7 at least) is a DLNA server by default.

If anyone can help me with my sync issue I listed above let me know, thanks.

TonyPh12345, thanks for  the response. I just wanted to know an example for media server and network share, when they would be recommended. I have Windows 8, same thing, I guess. So do I need WMP open for Media Server to work or just have homegroup set up?