How to stream mkv files wirelessly from my computer to my WD TV Live?

Hello

I can without any problems stream my avi. files from my computer through my wireless network to my new WD TV Live, but when it comes to mkv. files my WD TV doesnt recognize the files even though they are in the same shared folder as my avi. files.

A’m I doing something wrong or isnt it possible to stream mkv. files wirelessly?

Thank you in advance!

It is possible, but your Media Server must support MKV files.

If you’re just using the Built-In Media Server in Windows 7 (which is tied to Windows Media Player), that is why you cannot see MKV, because WMP doesn’t support them.

The WD does MKVs via media servers just fine as long as the SERVER supports them.

Thank you very much for your reply…

But how do I make another media server when I have win7 installed on my computer?

My experience with the MKV files I have created with ByteCopy is that they play fine off the hard drive attached to the WDTV, and not well if streamed via my wired network.  Streaming wirelessly is even worse.  So, I stick with playing them off the hard drive.

BTW, playing DVD ISO files (non blu-ray files) work fine anyway I serve them up.  I suppose the problems with blu-ray MKV files is that blu-rays have more complex data than standard DVD ISO files, and therein lies the problem.

I have streamed high bit rate (35Mbps) mkv files over my wired network, and it seems to play fine, although I didn’t watch the entire movie.  It might depend on the router also, I don’t know.  Wireless I don’t think will work with high bit rate movies, but I haven’t tried.

I prefer putting it on a hard drive that I have attached directly to the usb port on the media player.

As for not recognizing mkv files, it  might be what Tony said.  I use the freeware DLNA program called Serviio.  It works with mkv files, but not ISO files. 

Just correcting my previous comment.  Last night I tried WIFI streaming an MKV blu-ray movie (35Mbps) and it actually played fine.  Although my router (RT-N56U) is only about 10ft away from the media player.   It probably also depends on how many other wireless networks are on the same channel.

It probably also depends on how many other wireless networks are on the same channel.

This prompts me to say, never leave your router on the default channel (usually CH 5) because most everyone around you DOES leave their router that way.  There are 11 channels to select from, so put your router on one a few channels away from 5.

I once had a shareware program that detected other Wi-Fi signals AND indicated the channel they were on.  I have never found a program like that again, and would love to have one for both Win XP and Win 7.  Can anyone suggest one to me?

This is my favorite wireless scanner (also free).

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/