How to resolve "Network shares" access problems with WDTV media players

This post addresses one of the most-asked questions in the forum regarding how to login to Network shares without problems, error messages and hassles. Two ways of accessing Network shares are described here, either by using or not using names and passwords.

Method 1:   IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE NAMES & PASSWORDS FOR WDTV NETWORK SHARES

1. In the WDTV Settings/Network settings, select auto logon (if your model WDTV has this option; otherwise ignore).

2. Click on “Clear login info for network share” and select to clear it.

3. On your PC, in the Windows Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings, select it to “Turn OFF password protected sharing”.

End of your access problems.  You will not be asked anymore for account names and passwords to access Network shares.

Method 2:    IF YOU WANT TO USE NAMES & PASSWORDS FOR WDTV NETWORK SHARES

1. In the WDTV Settings/Network settings, DO NOT select auto logon (if your model WDTV has this option; otherwise ignore).

2. Click on “Clear login info for network share” and select to clear it.

3. On your PC, in the Windows Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings, select it to “Turn ON password protected sharing”.

Now, (back at the WDTV menu when you access Network shares) you will be prompted to provide your Account name (your name on the shared PC you are accessing; if you login to the PC as Bob, put in Bob).

You also will be asked for your password for the PC you are accessing. If your password is “hello”, put in hello and now you can login to Network shares.

Select which method is best for you and your family.  I like things to be simple and easy, so I prefer Method 1.

11 Likes

Hello,

This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

How to configure samba share if server is Linux?

I don’t think your question relates at all to the subject of this thread, (it’s about network shares – a WDTV screen menu choice, and not samba shares),  So please go start a new thread for your question.

I do think my question is relevant because the 3) point is talking about something unknown in linux, and a lot of file servers run under linux, like mine.

mike27oct wrote:

I don’t think your question relates at all to the subject of this thread, (it’s about network shares – a WDTV screen menu choice, and not samba shares),  So please go start a new thread for your question.

Samba shares are handled on the SMP exactly the same as shares from Windows machines are, since they use the same basic SMB protocol.  They are Network Shares/WIndows Shares from the SMP’s perspective.  However, I view this sticky as being about fixing share config problems on Windows.  Most WIndows users don’t understand shares or their setup, and a good fraction of the people coming to the forum are having issues with their shares from Windows machines.  I have never seen anyone come to this forum with Samba issues, frankly.  Any writeup about how to configure Samba should definitely be separate.  There are many options for Samba and all sorts of different configurations one might want to use for special purposes (as I do).

1 Like

Let’s hope the above comments from ncarver settles this issue.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any questions about using “Network shares” from the WDTV menu after setting it up correctly, leave a question.

BTW, if Mac users know what controls to adjust on the Mac to use Network shares correctly, pass it on.  The only thing I know about Mac computers is that they are expensive relative to Windows computers!     :wink:

This is a good thing for all the geeks out there. How about those that don’t spend all their free time with stuff like this. It’s supposed to work without you having to go through a long check-list.

Why break something that was working…

I was at a loss why you made your comment until I looked at other threads where you made a comment.  You were referred here because someone in that other thread had suggested the thread poster come to this thread who was having issues with his network shares.  My friend, this is not “geeky stuff”  It is a clear and concise explanation of how to set up the network shares configuration for BASIC USE of the WDTV.  Go read your WDTV user guide before you make any other similar and silly comments elsewhere!

1 Like

ncarver wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

Samba shares are handled on the SMP exactly the same as shares from Windows machines are, since they use the same basic SMB protocol.

No. They are not. Very bold statement that indicates you have no knowledge of the underlying technology.

The way all WD TV products access networks for share information is plain Wrong. Very. Very. Very. Wrong. And now that I’ve switched from WD HD TV Live to an SMP I couldn’t believe it still has not changed OR given me the possibility to mount a share which I specify. It is just plain sad because they are great products.

deadlock wrote:

ncarver wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

Samba shares are handled on the SMP exactly the same as shares from Windows machines are, since they use the same basic SMB protocol.

No. They are not. Very bold statement that indicates you have no knowledge of the underlying technology.

The way all WD TV products access networks for share information is plain Wrong. Very. Very. Very. Wrong. And now that I’ve switched from WD HD TV Live to an SMP I couldn’t believe it still has not changed OR given me the possibility to mount a share which I specify. It is just plain sad because they are great products.

Hah!  Well actually I am a CS phd/prof and understand the technology quite well.  What you are saying is pure rubbish.  I challenge you to provide a shred of technical information to back up your assertion.  “Proof” by vigorous and repeated assertion is what people that know nothing resort to.  LMAO!  Provide me a packet trace between the SMP and an SMB server, annotated to show precisely how the SMP violates the SMB/CIFS protocols.  Be sure you refer to one of the published versions of SMB/CIFS when making a claim of failing to adhere to the protocol.  I.e., show precisely which packet(s) violate particular specific elements of the protocol.  Until you do this, there is no point in me wasting my time interacting any further with you.

Wanted to post a link to a useful MS document on share browsing:

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc767893.aspx

People might want to particularly have a look at the “Troubleshooting Browsing” section.

Do note that home networks should be single segment networks, i.e., “LANs” in this document.  Ignore discussions about issues in multi-segment “WANs.”

That seems to work great.  Now if the unit would not lose the connection during idle I would be a happy camper.

: Jeeze, people, read the FIRST post of this thread – all I did there was repeat some instructions culled from WD user guide and other sources to write up very simple instructions for not getting error messages from WD that username or password is unknown, or something to that effect. And look what a rout this thread has become. 

Many people who come to the WDTV forum do not know how to set up the menu choice “Network shares” on their WD units.  All I wanted to do was help them out with simple, understandable, and proven instructions  (and many have said the instructions helped them, BTW).  I really did not expect the thing to turn out like this. 

So, please stop tramping all over my helpful post with totally off-topic and insultive comments.  Get back to the point of the thread:  How to set up Network shares; with or without using passwords. .

And, deadlock, careful who you insult next time; there are people here more informed than you or me!

1 Like

Okay back to on topic… I’m having my first issue with my wd TV live streaming. I use mainly dlna served via tversity from a pc. This works fine and the server never transcodes as the wd handles all my files perfectly.
But yesterday I had a mp4 file with an idx sub. The sub wasn’t streamed by dlna so I thought I’d use my network shares direct. I had set this up initially without problems but now it’s saying wrong password. Cleared my wd password cache no change.
Windows 7 but I also have home group sharing on. It’s just a workgroup as I don’t have a domain.
So is the home group sharing an issue? Also I did reboot the pc which is when the problem started.

swamprat96 wrote:
Okay back to on topic… I’m having my first issue with my wd TV live streaming. I use mainly dlna served via tversity from a pc. This works fine and the server never transcodes as the wd handles all my files perfectly.
But yesterday I had a mp4 file with an idx sub. The sub wasn’t streamed by dlna so I thought I’d use my network shares direct. I had set this up initially without problems but now it’s saying wrong password. Cleared my wd password cache no change.
Windows 7 but I also have home group sharing on. It’s just a workgroup as I don’t have a domain.
So is the home group sharing an issue? Also I did reboot the pc which is when the problem started.

most dnla servers do not support external subtitles

and the few I know of that do, handle them, but muxing the subtitles in real time, so that the WD or other DNLA renderer received it as an internal subtitle

Yes I knew that about subs which is why I went to network shares. 

However a simple reboot again of my PC has fixed the network shares issue- for now. It wasn’t the old “master browser” issue either as I checked that first

In order to prevent this topic from getting way off track, this thread has been closed.