How long will we have to wait for new firmware

… given that the last total **bleep** upgrade was late last year.

I really thought WD would have addressed this serious and large scale issue a little sooner… Very disappointing, there were/are many users affected by that “upgarde”. Lift your game WD…

I think we would all like a answer to that one but perhaps it’s better to wait for something that works rather than just a hurried release with yet more problems.

It is estimated that it took 20-40 years for 4-5000 men to build the Great Pyramid in Giza!!! :laughing:

fatboydarky wrote:

I really thought WD would have addressed this serious and large scale issue a little sooner… Very disappointing, there were/are many users affected by that “upgarde”. Lift your game WD…

What’s a " upgarde" ?

JoeySmyth wrote:

fatboydarky wrote:

What’s a " upgarde" ?

A WD FW release you install very carefully.

dcb917 wrote:

JoeySmyth wrote:

fatboydarky wrote:

What’s a " upgarde" ?

A WD FW release you install very carefully.

with _ spell check _ on.

You guys are pointing out a spelling error? Wow…

1 Like

fatboydarky wrote:
You guys are pointing out a spelling error? Wow…

You asked a question that no one here can answer … So, I thought I’d kill some time while waiting for the new firmware.

When there is new firmware available you will see Bill_S announce it here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/Announcements

1 Like

JoeySmyth wrote:

fatboydarky wrote:

What’s a " upgarde" ?

so grammarnazi

very useful

anyway, It is NOT right that no one here can answer this question: WD support reads this forum, they can eventually estimate a date, especially because the last fw was a mess.

SuperMario86 wrote:

anyway, It is NOT right that no one here can answer this question

This is a  “USER FORUM”  no one can answer that question … (except official WD Staff)

SuperMario86 wrote:

WD support reads this forum

They sure do … and they will Announce NEW FIRMWARE when it’s available 

I didn’t even notice that it’s been 4 months now,

guess I’ve been busy with my own firmware

the first question to ask - is the SMP EOL?

the Hub is already EOL

it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s no more updates

and if there are updates coming, I have seen the old WD Live go for over 12 months between updates

I wonder if this forum is really usefull. A lot of people are waiting for a minimalist working firmware, as they have paid for a working device with network, wifi, streaming… and this device networking is definitely unreliable, and nothing is done to fix it.

I never will buy any WD device anymore !

Leoon wrote:

I wonder if this forum is really usefull. A lot of people are waiting for a minimalist working firmware, as they have paid for a working device with network, wifi, streaming… and this device networking is definitely unreliable, and nothing is done to fix it.

I never will buy any WD device anymore !

You say networking is unreliable but you don’t tell us why. If you’re connecting to your SMP wirelessly there’s all manner of things which could cause the signal to be unreliable. Have you ever considered using a Network Powerline Adapter such as TP-Link devices? Go Google them, it may help solve your issues.

In my own setup I had my router upstairs in my studio which was some distance from my telephone master socket. Running cabling all over the house was not an option and so the TP-Link devices solved my network issues immediately. I now have my router plugged into the master socket an as an added bonus my broadband speed has doubled. The TP-Link devices give me the same strength signal all over the house.

I`m looking forward a new firmware, too.

Due to the bug with the “resume” function I can`t use the last firmware and rolled back to previous one.

I think at this point its reached its end of life and any future updates  are going to be rare and minor.

Compared to many devices its underpowered now and lack versatility when up against android devices.

As for there last firmware being a bleep it was hardly the case, it wasn’t perfect but it was stable and worked.

Many bugs people run into have little to do with the player and more to do with the other factors.

yeah last release was just fine for a lot of people

I don’t care if there’s another release, it’s stable enough that I’m happily building custom firmware on it

of which the 4th puplic release happened this last sunday

Cool :slight_smile:

There no perfect firmware or device out there but the trend now seems to lean more towards android based devices since you can customize them as you please and they can be no larger then a big tumb drive.

Also just as you mentioned there always third party firmware in most cases. (i need to go check that out )

Even my boxee box which had crapy unstable firmware from a company that shafted everyone is now back to life.

You can now run xbmc on it through a external usb or install xbmc internaly making it a joy to use (never thought i say that about the thing)

How long will we have to wait for new firmware… - here is a ritorical question.

Author tried to pay attention to the bugs or unconvenient that were always. Exept resume function - in is a new bug ))

So, it right to say: How soon the new FW without of these childhood diseases will be released.