Hassle-free theme? With landscape tv episode thumbs?

Install once and then forget about it? Is there any such thing?

The standard Mochi theme suits me fine apart from the Tv episode thumbnail spots have portrait orientation but the metadata site provides them as landscape. I like the look of the other themes but they all seem to need constant additional processing.

I have it all automated so I don’t want to have to run batch jobs or third party additional stuff.

Am I dreaming? Has anyone modified the standard Mochi just to have landscape thumbnails?

It’s fairly easy to create a Landscape thumbnail theme… but poster (portrait) thumbnails will look very very tiny.

If you’re only using Landscape thumbnails … then its “doable”

Here’s a very quick theme edit of “Gallery View” with Landscape thumbnails (feel free to tinker with it)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9muk94m1d59wfsd/Landscape.zip

To install the theme, , open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE9 or 8, there have been issues), then type your SMP’s IP address to open the Web UI.   Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept” and then click on LOGIN, then click on “Appearance”, then click on “Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “Landscape.zip” file, then click on “Open”.

Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme, on you SMP press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”, select “Landscape” then when prompted select "Apply theme".

1 Like

Wow, incredibly generous and helpful Joey. Thanks heaps for your assistance and effort.

I will try it this evening. Thanks so very much.

Joey thats pretty good and I thank you very much.  The episodes display at the correct size now and give a much better view of each episode thumbnail.  So its much easier to see if youve seen that episode before.

The Portrait placeholder that is at the left of screen beside the metadata text, is filled with the central part of the episode thumbnail…  so it displays as a bigger image (but only showing the central portion of the widescreen thumbnail)  Although that is probably not an intended effect,  it turns out to be very useful 90% of the time…  it is even bigger than the now improved thumbnails, so I love it.

The only two downsides are the unfortunate stretching of the show thumbnails when at a level of the structure above the episode files…  ie browsing through all the shows…  those thumbnails are scrapped as portrait and so were correct previously but now are distorted.

The episode view is so much better though that I might just live with it…  :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your efforts.

i got a bit overzealous with some xml editing that i deleted the “fix ratio” code… doh

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1csp87k0eks423/Landscape2.zip

this will fix the aspect ratio of portait thumbnails … gimme 2 seconds and ill upload it again

done

1 Like

Thanks very much Joey.  Its really amazing how helpful you have been.

That has largely fixed it.  The only mismatch now is the large portrait placeholder on the left of the episode view (next to the metadata text) is a landscape inside a portrait.

I could happily live with that because overall it is so much better now.  I hope others in the future besides just me see this thread and get the benefit of the work you did.  Many many thanks.

Bummer. I just noticed that the Landscape2 theme doesn’t have the ‘watched’ circle. I tried to look in the XML but it is beyond me to fix it at the moment. :slight_smile:

So two targets for me (or any kind soul) to fix are the ‘watched’ circle and importantly the large portrait beside metadata was lovely in Landscape1 but crammed in 2.

Surely WD should be offering a bit more variety. :slight_smile:

The Landscape2 is a modification of “Gallery View” … 

Ok, my mistake … i accidently deleted it  … DOH!

1 Like

Um, I feel like i am likely wrong since you know way more than me but before i posted I did exactly that and it was there. ( Unless i am mistaken)

Just now I am trailing the AnodisedXL theme but later on I will re confirm. ( After the real boss in the household goes to bed…). :slight_smile:

Yep definitely there.

DOH !  my mistake … i accidently deleted it

1 Like

*see above*

1 Like

Maybe it came in with the latest version of firmware?

I don’t know how to put a photo in the posts but I am looking into it now.

It’s definitely there.

[Update: I am using a iPhone and can’t see any image insert options… (But i do have a photo… it is there…)… just found the way I send a Kudos. Joey definitely deserves Kudos]

There’s a couple of ways to upload an image … here’s the easist way

1. Click on your user name

2. Then click on “View Images For WalrusLike”  *this is on the right side of your computer screen*

3. You are now in the “Image Upload” screen … click on “Browse” to select the image stored on your computer

4. Now click “Save”

5. Now compose your post and then click on the “Insert / Edit Image” icon

6. Select “From My Uploaded Images”  click on the uploaded image and then click “Insert Image”

Here tis:

Tv.jpg

My apologies WalrusLike … you’re right, Gallery View does contained “Watched”

But the Landscape2 mod i accidently deleted it !  

Fixed: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b76zd7wfrey8ram/Landscape3.zip

1 Like

Thanks again Joey that’s great. I will load it as soon as I get an opportunity.

Youve done so much so I am not asking you to do it, but could I ask you please… Is there a way I might be able to change the settings to make the large left hand placeholder landscape?

I am willing to try fiddling it… just want your opinion on whether it will be possible. Thanks again for everything and any advice you can offer.

The large left hand poster is the line in the xml

<image image=“@@poster” x=“57” y=“172” w=“176” h=“261” scale_type=“fixratio” align=“hcenter” scale=“100”/>

have a tinker with it and if you need any help just ask :smiley:

When you re-zip the meta.xml and rv_gallery_browse_page.xml … make sure you zip them as root (meaning, if you extract the zip there should be only One folder(No Subfolders) eg.Landscape3

And also, No Compression (some zip apps call this “Store”)

I use 7-Zip to zip my files :  http://www.7-zip.org/

1 Like

It’s getting very close to my desired result now. I removed the scale attributes and now its showing the central portion of the widescreen image bigger as desired.

But not always. I can see a bit more fiddling is required. Unfortunately I have to tread the fine line of not stuffing up the WAF by constantly mucking about. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Joey… I am sure others besides just me will benefit from your excellent 'how to’s.