HELP: "No Storage Found"

I recently bought a new hard drive but it is not being recognized on my WD TV Live device.  I get a “No Storage Found” error message.  However, it does work on my PC.  Also, I have 2 other hard drives that work fine on the device so it’s not necessarily a problem with the device itself, USB ports, cable, etc.

I did some online reading (including this forum) and found solutions, but these did not work for me.  Among them:

-  Confirmed that the hard drive is a supportable file system (NTFS).

-  Upgraded the firmware.

-  Using my PC, ran a chkdsk with no errors found.

-  Rebooted the device.

-  Turning off the Media Library from the system settings.

-  Deleting the wdtv folder (I actually don’t have one since this drive never worked in the device)

My hard drive is a 3TB Toshiba, with just one partition and NTFS file system.  I also always use the “Safely remove hardware” when disconnecting the drive from my PC.  One thing I read is that the drive might be too big.  And a buddy suggested deleting the partition and reformatting the drive (using a deep format rather than quick format) but because I have a lot of data on it, plus the time it takes to do a deep format on a 3TB hard drive, would rather not.

Anyone have ideas?  Any help would be appreciated!

I’ve seen some drives working on one system but not the other depending on cable length. Have you a shorter spare you could try?

prestigepro wrote:

My hard drive is a 3TB Toshiba, with just one partition and NTFS file system. One thing I read is that the drive might be too big.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Nope, the size is fine … i’m using a 3TB WD MyBook and 3TB WD Essentials (both have a single NTFS partition)

work fine on the WDTV Media Player and WDTV Live Hub

Personally, i only buy with WD hard drives   (all 8 of them work fine with the WDTV)

the only thing i can think of about your Toshiba is the partition MBR or GPT ?  (GPT won’t work with the WDTV)

it should be MBR “out of the box” but you never know … it’s worth checking

1 Like

This must be it.  I checked the drive it is indeed GPT.  Hopefully this’ll do the trick.

Thanks for the reply!

There you go … WD USB External drives are MBR “out of the box” … guess Toshiba does things deifferently:wink:

You can convert GPT to MBR without losing your data …  :smiley:

i have used this software (trial version i think) and it worked great. no data loss

AOMEI Partition Assistant ¶ Standard Edition

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

Can I ask something else that’s probably a newbie question.  You mentioned you have two 3TB drives that you are using with a single NTFS partition.  I thought that the max partition size for MBR drives is 2TB.  How are you using a 3TB drive with a single partition then?

From what i understand 2TB MBR is the max capacity for an Internal “Boot - Drive”

A GPT partitation allows the full capacity of an Internal HDD (exceeding 2TB) to be used as a “Boot - Drive”

as long as your computer has a UEFI bios support.

External USB drives however … are not Boot Drives and can be partioned MBR and the capacity can exceed 2TB *

Here’s my 3TB Mybook

*   But, Here’s an interesting bit of info …

The way that WD and Seagate circumvent this limitation is by configuring their 3TB externals with an LBA size of 4096 bytes. This results in an MBR limit of 16TiB.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295845-32-external-limit

Let’s hope Toshiba does the same thing …

I guess i should say WARNING … make sure you have a Backup of your files in case converting the Partition may result in data loss (ie. if you convert GPT to MBR … and your Toshiba reports a capacity of only 2TB … then i’m not sure if any data on the “Lost” 1TB will be gone for good ??)

Thanks very much for your help!

i edited my post … to be on the “Safe Side”

I guess i should say WARNING … make sure you have a Backup of your files in case converting the Partition may result in data loss (ie. if you convert GPT to MBR … and your Toshiba reports a capacity of only 2TB … then i’m not sure if any data on the “Lost” 1TB will be gone for good ??)

Can’t find the posting ATM but I’m pretty sure the WDTV also supports GPT.

Well, after searching a bit … older firmware does not support GPT, only “some” of the latest versions support it.

(would have to trawl through all the Firmware Release Notes to see if WD mention it)

For me, GPT partitioned NTFS formatted drive did not get recognised with the Live Hub.

presitgepro did’nt state what firmware he was on, and since he pretty much tried everything, which i why i suggested it may be a GPT issue. 

Personally all my drives are MBR, so i can use them on my older WDTV’s and the newer WDTV’s, i like to have a bit of “compatibility” with my HDD’s and Devices. :wink:

But, if you can offer / add any alternative advice then please do.

P.S. I woud’nt recommend upgrading to the latest Firmware as solution at this present time (until WD fix the bugs)

It’s been a while since I’ve read this so being on 1.16.13 should work with GPT drives. I’m not surprised the Hub won’t recognize them though.