Getting LG Smart TV to recognize WD media player

I am new to this forum, so I apologize if my post sounds naive.

I’ve had my WD TV Live Streaming for 7 months. I recently purchased an LG Smart TV that I now have downstairs, so I moved my WD media player upstairs. I have a 1TB and 2TB hard drive hooked up to the media player that work and play fine. I can also recognize the media player and both hard drives from my PC.

However, I cannot for the life of me get my LG Smart TV to recognize the media player or either of the hard drives. The TV is updated with the latest firmware. I had the media player updated with the latest firmware, and when that didn’t work, I restored it to the factory default. The media player worked much faster, but it still did not show up on my TV. I have the Network Share set to on, and my TV is connected to the same wireless router and recognizes the other devices connected to it. 

If this is an issue I should post on the LG forum, feel free to yell at me. 

Your WD Live will be sharing SMB network shares,

Your LG tv will only connect to a DLNA server (media server).

1 Like

You can/should just hook up physically via HDMI, that allows the WDTV to play the streams and beat any network issues.

Your PC can still access as per normal.

The above comments are all correct.  You have to connect your WDTV into your new TV via HDMI.  Your new smart TV is not as “smart”  as your WDTV.  It is not the WDTV you need to access, it is the drives on it.  Your TV should be able to see shared drives on your network, PC, etc…  Even if it does, it still cannot play ISO files like the WD can.  The “smart” TVs of today are limited to playing mp4s, mp3s, jpgs and other simpler media files.  An ISO file is not even a media file; it is a disc image, and the WD has the right guts to decypher and play these files.

A truly Smart TV would have a real media player like a WD built in and that you attach drives to, etc.; and so far, I know of none like this.  Anyway, who would want this, because if your TV goes out, so does your media player!  Best that they are separate units.

So, you have the WD connected to the new TV, and you access the drives on the WD as you have done before.  Not much changed, did it, other than a bigger and better picture?

My WDTV Live Hub and Panasonic TV  *Talk* to each other nicely  :smiley:  (Via the TV’s Media Server)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/What-television-to-get-to-watch-stuff-from-my-WD-TV-Live-Hub/m-p/519022#M22001

Great the WDTV Live Hub has “Twonky” built in … i can even play media from it on my Playstation 3

mike27oct wrote:

The above comments are all correct.  You have to connect your WDTV into your new TV via HDMI.  Your new smart TV is not as “smart”  as your WDTV.  It is not the WDTV you need to access, it is the drives on it.  Your TV should be able to see shared drives on your network, PC, etc…  Even if it does, it still cannot play ISO files like the WD can.  The “smart” TVs of today are limited to playing mp4s, mp3s, jpgs and other simpler media files.  An ISO file is not even a media file; it is a disc image, and the WD has the right guts to decypher and play these files.

A truly Smart TV would have a real media player like a WD built in and that you attach drives to, etc.; and so far, I know of none like this.  Anyway, who would want this, because if your TV goes out, so does your media player!  Best that they are separate units.

So, you have the WD connected to the new TV, and you access the drives on the WD as you have done before.  Not much changed, did it, other than a bigger and better picture?

mike, smart tv’s will not see shared drives (network shares), they will only see DLNA media servers over a network.

The tv can play files (limited as you say) off a hard drive plugged into one of it’s usb sockets.

@mike27oct

Quote: The “smart” TVs of today are limited to playing mp4s, mp3s, jpgs and other simpler media files

Incorrect.     (“Smart TV’s” will play a LOT of Advanced “Media Files” … but,sure, doesent support *.iso … which i don’t use anyways.)

Quote: because if your TV goes out, so does your media player!  Best that they are separate units.

So if my TV Dies … then i can’t watch anything from my WDTV    (TV Dead / WD Alive)

but if my WDTV Device dies … (TV Alive / WD Dead)  i just then plug HDD into TV … Watch Full 1080p HD with 5.1 Surround Sound. :smiley:

A “Simple” Spec Sheet for my Panasonic TV …

User Manual Link:

http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA+televisions/Plasma+TVs/TH-P50ST50A/Downloads

Sorry, I did not specify. My WD TV is upstairs connected to my older non-smart TV. I wanted to keep it connected to this TV and ideally have the Smart TV connect to it from downstairs, so I can access files both upstairs and downstairs. Being able to see it on my PC was just to check that it was accessible on the network.

cduong,

you could move your files onto your PC and install a media server like “Serviio” on your PC, then your new TV and WD (upstairs) would both see the DLNA share, but this would involve leaving your PC switched on whenever you wanted too watch something.

JoeySmyth wrote:

@mike27oct

Quote: The “smart” TVs of today are limited to playing mp4s, mp3s, jpgs and other simpler media files

Incorrect.     (“Smart TV’s” will play a LOT of Advanced “Media Files” … but,sure, doesent support *.iso … which i don’t use anyways.)

I stand corrected. Somewhat. 

Quote: because if your TV goes out, so does your media player!  Best that they are separate units.

So if my TV Dies … then i can’t watch anything from my WDTV    (TV Dead / WD Alive)

No, the WDTV can still be accessed by PC, and hooked to a different TV:smiley:

but if my WDTV Device dies … (TV Alive / WD Dead)  i just then plug HDD into TV … Watch Full 1080p HD with 5.1 Surround Sound. :smiley:

If you have that capability.

Anyway, thanks for the comment and the list of what files do play on your smart TV.

markinuk wrote:

cduong,

you could move your files onto your PC and install a media server like “Serviio” on your PC, then your new TV and WD (upstairs) would both see the DLNA share, but this would involve leaving your PC switched on whenever you wanted too watch something.

Better yet, get a second WDTV – one for each TV.  I recently got a second TV, and hooked a second WD to it.  No need to buy a new one – got my second Live Plus from eBay.  Cheap!  :wink:

I has LG 32LM6200 and it sees the WDTV Live Hub DLNA server perfectly every time I open Smartshare. At times, I move the WDTV Live Hub from room-to-room and there is never a problem playing media either through direct connection (i.e. HDMI, composite, or component inputs) or DLNA.

However, if I had to take a guess, check your router settings if your on a wireless connection. Firewalls can be a SoB and many times they are the problem that causes wireless networks to isolate themselves from the rest of the Universe.