Getting Content Info from themoviedb.org - Release Year in file name not supported?

Thought I would pass on something that I learned over the weekend with respect to getting content info for movies from themoviedb.org.  About two months ago, content info for my movies stopped updating.  If I tried to manually update content info for a movie, I would get “Content Not Found” warning.  I first noticed it when content info for new movies added to my library was missing.  But when I went and tried to get content info for movies that I had previously been able to retrieve info for, they failed as well.

I stumbled across a post in the themoviedb.org forums from back in May regarding XBMC no longer scraping movie content.  The problem seemed to be related to the XBMC API not being able to retrieve data for files that included the year of release in the filename (i.e. The Avengers (2012).m2ts).  According to the forum moderator who chimed in in the thread, themoviedb.org was never supposed to support file names formatted in this way.  But it did anyway.  Apparently that behaviour was “fixed” in a recent update at themoviedb.org

All my movies files include the year of release in the filename as that is a requirement of the media managers I have installed on my system (YAMMM and MediaBrowser).  It never bothered the WDTV Live in the past, as it has managed to automatically retrieve content info for over a hundred movies.  That no longer seems to be the case.  When I renamed several of the problem files to exclude the year from the movie name, the WDTV Live scraped the content info correctly.

Yeah, themoviedb.org API was changed a while back, and has made that incompatible.

WD is aware of the issue.

Thanks for confirming that.  I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out why it wasn’t working after having worked perfectly for over a year.   

Thank you guys for the info pertaining towards this issue.

I thought it was me. I almost started to blame my family/friends for

messing it up lol. My movie/tv shows updates started 3 weeks

ago. In fact, 2 of my friends wdtv smp’s did the same thing recently

Hopefully there will be a future fix for this problem.

I am just thankful it still plays my videos properly