Frustrated by the lack of resume function

Before the last update of firmware, whenever I stopped a video before it was finished, either to take a phone call or even because it was late at night, I could always go back and the resume feature would start the video off from the last position.  Even if the WD TV Live had been switched off overnight or even a couple of days I could still get the option to resume the video.

Sadly since the update this feautre has gone.  I don’t know why this is the case as it was a very good feature.

Well when I say switched off I mean switched off at the mains and left unplugged overnight and it still resumed videos the next day.

I think the better solution would be for WD to get up fix it.  And I ahve rolled it back to the previous firmware already and it hasn’t fixed that problem nor the problem of not reading files properly.

Err, no.

Resume function after power-off on ALL of the WD TV models requires the use of the Media Library.

This has been a requirement forever – it’s not a recent change.    It goes back as far as I can remember – perhaps 5-6 years?

If you’re actually cutting power, where do you expect the WD to “remember” where you left off?

If you put it in STANDBY, it will remember the resume location for a small number of files (I don’t know how many) in memory… but if you shut it off completely, of course the memory is wiped.

The media library creates a database which will hold resume information indefinitely.

There’s one exception to this that I know of:   DVDs (ISO / VIDEO_TS structure) – they get a specific file (a *.bmk file) for each video since DVDs have complex navigation structure that’s not compatible with a simple “time” location stored in the database.

nd yet I stand by my experience.  I have watched something part way through then stopped it.  Ejected the USB drive from the player, turned everything off at the plug.  COme back the next day and picked up from where I left off.  That has been my experience and was up until this last update and even though I’ve rolled back to the previous firmware it hasn’t sorted this problem which is **bleep** annoying as I am so used to it.

RonASA wrote:

That has been my experience and was up until this last update and even though I’ve rolled back to the previous firmware it hasn’t sorted this problem which is **bleep** annoying as I am so used to it.

That, in and of itself, is proof that an update has nothing to do with what you’re seeing.   If an update changed the behavior, then a rollback would restore it.

My guess is that you were using the media library before, and now you’re not.

Then from what you are saying it is a problem with the firmware.  Every time I hook up my USB storage device it is a 50/50 guess as to whether or not it actually will recognise the files and if it doesn’t (even though they all played perfectly before the update) I have to eject the storage device, turn off the player, turn it back on again and re-connect the USB storage device and then the files play perfectly fine except  it acts like the files have never been in there before, completely negating the resume function and the rollback to the previous firmware has not fixed that problem.