For some reason I'm not able to get 1080p output to my LG 8500-E

This is simple but perplexing.
Is there a setting for the HDMI output?  I ask because whenever I check my TV for what is being displayed it always only says 720p not 1080p.
I have tried various different files some 720p and some 1080p and all I ever get is 720p.
Is there a different kind of HDMI cable that I need or something?  
Or is there a manual setting I overlooked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(and yes, the TV is 1080p; with other sources it reads out as 1080p).  :(

It’s odd that the WD is choosing 720p if your TV actually has a native resolution of 1080p.

You can manually set it by going to Settings / Audio/Video Settings / …

No matter what I set it at it reverts back to 720p 60Hz.
1080p is an option but it does not seem to want to go to that setting; it keeps reverting to 720p!
sigh

And, other sources are coming through just fine and dandy at 1080p.

And, other sources are coming through just fine and dandy at 1080p.

I had a similar problem on my older TV.  In my case it was the quality of the HDMI cable or the HDMI connection itself.  I was using a HDMI switcher and a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter.  As soon as I improved the quality of the DVI to HDMI adapter the output went to the 1080i.

So try another HDMI cable.  WDTV SMP’s can be a little touchy when it comes to the HDMI cable.

Worth a try anyway.

1 Like

Thomfam - So you changed your HDMI cable and it fixed the problem?
Currently the one I am using was a generic one found cheaply, but I have to wonder if it can really be that simple.

Dellex wrote:

Thomfam - So you changed your HDMI cable and it fixed the problem?

Mate, I changed the cheap DVI to HDMI adapter I was using rather than the whole cable in my case. 

But I have had other cases where a generic HDMI cable to certain brands of TV didn’t work at all.  The gent then bought a ‘better’ quality cable and bingo it worked.  This may have been because the better quality HDMI cable made a better ‘connection’ between the TV and the WDTV.  This may have been because of the quality of the HDMI connector on the better quality cable. 

I am only guessing.  Swap your current cable with a better quality one you already have and see if it works for you.

As I said before, it is worth a try!

Well, what do ya know.
I changed the HDMI cable for one that claimed to be ‘Fully 1080p Certified’, and the WD allowed me to change the resolution setting manually right away - no muss no fuss.
How strange that the truly simplest of things was the cause…funny thing is is that the new HDMI cable cost less than the first one!

Thanks for the tips everyone, PROBLEM SOLVED!:smileyvery-happy: