Folder keep reappearing after deletion

If I delete a movie folder on my network share or via the wdtv live smp, the folder keeps coming back. But the only files inside are:

wdtv.cas2
wdtv.cas2_no_check_content_0090a9677d42

What’s the deal? thanks guys.

The folder on your PC keeps coming back?   Or the folder keeps displaying on the WDTV?   That’s two different things.

blanker wrote:

wdtv.cas2
wdtv.cas2_no_check_content_0090a9677d42

… those are the WD TV Media Library database files.    Those are *always* in a .wd_tv folder.

If THAT’S the folder you’re deleting, of COURSE it’s going to keep coming back.

The only way to prevent that is to never use My Media Library.

The folder on my pc keeps coming back.  The folder is the movie name and inside is another folder and inside that are just those 2 files I mentioned in the first thread.

turn off media library

clear the library

delete the folders

then if you must turn media library back on

Ah!  Thanks.  Actually, I didn’t know that when I added movies to the media library from network shares, it creates a separate network share to that file.  Going into settings, media library, network shares, showed all those mapped movies.

When browsing movies, I will add certain movies to the media library to sort of group the ones I want to watch for now or later.  I guess this isn’t the best approach.  Wonder if there is a better way?

blanker wrote:

Ah!  Thanks.  Actually, I didn’t know that when I added movies to the media library from network shares, it creates a separate network share to that file. 

Actually, no, it doesn’t.  You can’t add FILES to the Media Library manager – only FOLDERS.

And that explains the other point – it’s going to add the .wd_tv folder to EVERY ENTRY you create in the library manager.

Ok, I think u maybe confusing yourself here.

Typically u add one or few nominated shared directory/s to the Media Librarary which is where u place your media files, say movies. The WD Live box can be configured to resan all sub directories under these every few hours or u can do it manually. U can only add 10 shared directories in total across all your  various PCs, NASs boxes or whatever. At the root of each share added into Media Library the box adds a .wd_TV folder containing meta data about the media files found within that directory (or any sub-directory) such as played flag, length, favourite etc.

I guess u just need to delete your shares u made to each movie directory and their entries under Media Library and then just share out their parent directory and add that to the Media Library. When u add a new movie file under this parent directory somewhere, either rescan it from settings or off rescan option on parent folder in a file view (with selected Media Library, view Files) or wait till next automatic scan has kicked in. Then new movies/s will show up in a Media Library view.

Simples

no confusion, I don’t think.  I do not set up shares for the media library.  I have shares on my pc.  When I turn on the SMP, I go to movies/shares/windows shares/mypc/ and I see and play my movies from there.  Every now and then when browsing these movies I can’t decide on ones to watch, so at the movie folder I click options/add to media library.

Then when I change the source to media library, I see just those movies I added.  I thought I was just adding the movie to the media library to make a short list.

When I went into the settings I found out that it actually mapped the location of those movies permanently (as if I manually added those directories to watch, like you mentioned AlcAm).  This is why it kept recreating those folders after I deleted them.  I was mapping those locations not knowing.

This is why I was wondering what other people did to save a watch list or temporarily group movies.

blanker wrote:

This is why I was wondering what other people did to save a watch list or temporarily group movies.

It probably would be pretty easy to use Playlists to accomplish that…

That’s done on the smp?  gotta look into that.

blanker wrote:

That’s done on the smp?  gotta look into that.

No, it’s done offline.  But the WD treats a playlist as a folder.