Firmware Rollback to 1.16.13

I’m looking at rolling back because I can no longer access shares since upgrading to the 2.whatever.

Answer ID 5860 which has the firmwares ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live)) has a link to what is supposed to be 1.16.13, but it identifies as 3.16.13.  Is this just a typo in the ID file?

Thanks!

Wow this is scary.

I looked at the 1.15.10 package just now. The .ver file in that says it’s 1.15.10, so far so good.  The .info XML file however says it’s for 1.14.09!

This is really not inspiring confidence in me about WD right now.

coleman wrote:> has a link to what is supposed to be 1.16.13, but it identifies as 3.16.13.  Is this just a typo in the ID file?

Not it’s not a typo … it order for the WDTV SMP to detect New Firmware (or in the case Rollback Firmware)

The “Version” number must be higher than what you are running.

eg. To rollback from 2.01.86 the version number in *.ver file must be higher ie. 3.16.13

So, Rollback Firmware, WD have already edited the version in the *.ver for you.

coleman wrote:

Wow this is scary.

I looked at the 1.15.10 package just now. The .ver file in that says it’s 1.15.10, so far so good.  The .info XML file however says it’s for 1.14.09!

This is really not inspiring confidence in me about WD right now.

That’s odd … when i download the zip file from this link:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_rollback_1.15.10.zip

there’s only 3 files when i unzip it

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

and the .ver file says:

VERSION=‘3.15.10’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘’

(again 3.15.10 is not a typo and must a higher number than the current firmware you are running)

coleman wrote:

I’m looking at rolling back because I can no longer access shares since upgrading to the 2.whatever.

Answer ID 5860 which has the firmwares ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live)) has a link to what is supposed to be 1.16.13, but it identifies as 3.16.13.  Is this just a typo in the ID file?

Thanks!

I noticed that as well when I rolled back to that firmware but once it installs, it is listed correctly.  In the link you post there is a screenshot that clearly says the version number may not match what you downloaded prior to flashing. 

I thought the same thing when I rolled back to the previous firmware (1.16.13).  The guidelines do state to ignore the version that shows up in there (screenshot #7).  I completed the process and when I went to the settings to check the firmware it had indeed installed the correct version.  I will add that once I did the rollback I no longer have any network issues, Windows share issues, streaming issues and everything is working perfectly on all 3 of my WDTV Live players.

I had so many problems with the latest firmware on the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player but happy to say the rollback corrected everything!

Ah, that is my bad, I did miss that part about ignoring the number.

So I have rolled back to 1.16.13 but unfortunately I do not appear to have gotten my shares back. :frowning:

What happens when you remove all you shares … power down the entire network … perform a Factory Reset on the WDTV SMP … then power on your network … and start re-adding the shares … one by one ?

Basically a complete “Reboot”

I haven’t tried anything that extreme.  That’s a non-trivial thing to do in my network.

I suppose I could reboot the core server, though I don’t think that should affect anything.  All my domain machines, my android devices, and my iPad can all access the network shares just fine.

Well, as an experiment, I setup a NFS share, and that mounts fine and seems to work great.  Which is kinda irritating.

Just to confirm what JoeySmyth has stated here, this is not a typo. I experienced the same problem when I rolled back to version 1.16.13 and I was quite alarmed that the update screen was showing the firmware as v.3.16.13

Thinking about it logically for a few moments though I soon realized that the SMP could not update to an older version which is why it has to show v.3.16.13

Take it from Joey, it will work so nothing to worry about. It worked just fine for me and once you’ve rolled back your firmware will show as v.1.16.13