Firmware 2.02.32: Reboot loop

After update completed last night it worked fine.
Turn it on and it brings up wd TV live loading screen. Then goes black. And loops forever. Never boots.
Reset using pin. No change

Unplugged network cable and it turned on. **bleep**?
Device was not reset. **bleep**?

Reset in settings menu. Device reboot and is reset.
Plug in ethernet, locks and reboots. **bleep**?
Unplug and connect to Wifi, works fine.

1 Like

Hello  drizzt09,

Not sure if I understand your post, is the unit working properly or not? If not, can you please provide more information about the case so the community can provide multiple tips.

It happened to me too, I was messing with my Samsung Galaxy S4 using the Wi-Fi direct/Miracast seeing if it was functional(wasn’t working) for me. I’m connected to my router wirelessly seeing if maybe it had to be disconnected first to work but wasn’t working either. I reconnected my wireless on the wdtv and after it was done compiling, because I have a share on my computer, it froze and did a reboot and kept looping until I disabled the wireless on the wdtv. I don’t know if .wd_tv folder was messed up on the computer or what.

I also noticed I was missing a bunch of service apps out of like 86 only 37 total were showing available. I factory reset/reflashed 2.02.32 and the apps were still missing. I then flashed 1.16.13 and did a factory reset some of the apps in that version were also missing. Continued back to 2.02.32 same stuff only 37 total apps were showing in the services.

Finally, I decided to try the other reset options. I did the Reset All Online Service Accounts and slowly all the apps started coming back although all of them had missing tile images. I kept on doing the Reset All Online Service Accounts until all the apps came back and the tile images reappeared, except for one which might be missing the image in the firmware.

So, there is my story.

1 Like

Unfortunatelly, I had the same issue here last night. I installed this update on august 12th (updating went fine, without any problems), and the WDTV worked just fine in that periode of time, until last night.

We were watching Netflix, when the WDTV suddenly started booting. After 10 minutes watching it looping in reboot, I pressed in the reset with a pin, that worked, WDTV booted normally. After filling in all the settings, I then used the Accuweather app and filled in some settings here, but there it went wrong again: device began booting (out of nowhere!), and ended up in a reboot loop, again…

Tonight I will try (with a pin in reset) to flash the device to the previous firmware, hope that this will help. If it does, I will not re-install this new firmware again, what a shame this is! Device totally screwed up with this new firmware!

If flashing back to an older firmware doesn’t help, I will use RMA at the store where I bought the device.

wzirkz wrote:

Tonight I will try (with a pin in reset) to flash the device to the previous firmware, hope that this will help

Pressing the reset hole will not “Flash” the device to the previous firmware… it just resets all the settings to factory default.

(you will still be running the same firmware )

If you wish to flash to previous Firmware… aka “_ Rollback Firmware _”  please follow my guide here …

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/m-p/781937#M32423

JoeySmyth wrote:

wzirkz wrote:

Tonight I will try (with a pin in reset) to flash the device to the previous firmware, hope that this will help

Pressing the reset hole will not “Flash” the device to the previous firmware… it just resets all the settings to factory default.

(you will still be running the same firmware )

If you wish to flash to previous Firmware… aka “_ Rollback Firmware _”  please follow my guide here …

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/m-p/781937#M32423

Oh gosh, that was a poor word choice from me, Joey, with ‘flashing’ I ment reset back to factory default, I’m sorry!

I had found the guide to rollback firmware earlier, I will use this tonight, thank you!

By the way (I forgot to mention in previous post), I have tried to start the device without LAN cable, like topic starter did, but that did not help in my case, the device kept on going in reboot loop.

Oh :neutral_face:  ok, no probs

EDIT:  Have you seen this post ?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Zombie-SMPs-power-cycle-for-an-hour-come-back-up-but-with-many/m-p/784249

Maybe before doing a Rollback … try what the user did, let it reboot cycle … and go away for an hour or so ?  

But,If you do decide to rollback … i also would advise to do a Factory Reset through the UI

Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset All Settings Back to Factory Default

1 Like

I’m Dutch, if I’m posting too fast, I sometimes use other words than what I’m trying to say, sorry, lol :flushed:

Interesting link Joey, and a very weird case also!

I am tempted now though to try this out, I will let the device on for at least a half hour tonight.

I had no issue with missing apps though, after updating firmware, everything worked fine and all the apps are present.

But I will give this a go.

wzirkz wrote:

I’m Dutch, if I’m posting too fast, I sometimes use other words than what I’m trying to say, sorry

No problems wzirkz    we all make little typos  :smiley:

I would be inclined to give it more than 1/2 hour  (give it plenty of time 1-2hrs) 

(maybe watch a movie on something else other than the WDTV … or go out for dinner  :smiley:       )

as KAD79 said …

yes, the SMP’s will phone home

and auto flash correct firmware files if it can detect the error and make it far enough in the boot cycle to download and flash the firmware

Watch a movie on something else… you’re talking to a Netflix addict here! :laughing:

I just got home, and started the device (I left the powercable unplugged during the day), ready to leave it on for a few hours (as you adviced, Joey) and let the device continue booting. But to my surprise the WDTV booted normally! :dizzy_face: Okay… that’s new… (lol). I ‘played’ with it for a while and it seems to be working well now (but I will hold my breath for the next couple of days).

I noticed one change: there are suddenly a lot more apps available now, comparing to the situation of the WDTV before the whole boot/loop issue. This confirms the findings of TechCrusader, who posted earlier in this topic (and I thought I had all the apps already… ).

Because of this, I have a strong suspicion that this issue could literallly happen to anyone, who updated the device to the 2.02.32 firmware. I hope WD therefore will investigate this issue, and that they will fix this soon.

wzirkz wrote:

Watch a movie on something else… you’re talking to a Netflix addict here! :laughing:

lol  :smiley:

I’m wondering if the problem only occurs with the Live OTA update ?   Vs   Upgrading the Firmware manually using a USB flashdrive ?

Odd

here’s what I’ve seen

firmware is now divided into 2 parts

firmware.bin

firmware.bi2

this is done due to flash storage has no more space available

so firmware.bin gets written to one block

and firmware.bi2 gets written to a different block

so at boot

a check is done to make sure that .bin and .bi2 firmware versions are matching

if they do not match

it will attempt to call home