Few questions re: subtitles, loading media onto my HD

Hi all, just wondering how I go about having subtitles, I DL the ‘srt’ file with films but they never show up on the WD, does it support ‘srt’ files?

Also, can i plug my laptop into the spare usb port on the front of the WD to transfer files to my HD as streaming them from my laptop takes ages, especially with bluray files.

Many thanks Jamee.

how I go about having subtitles

It depends on how you’re accessing the media.  If you’re using Network Shares or USB disks, the file just needs to be present alongside the movie file, and have the exact same name (except for extension, of course.)   

can i plug my laptop into the spare usb port on the front of the WD to transfer files to my HD

To what HD?  The SMP doesn’t have an internal disk.    Even if it did, the answer is No since both your PC and the SMP are “host” devices, not “slave” devices.  You cannot hook hosts to hosts via USB.

Cheers, I should have gave more information.

I have a 2TB buffalo desktop HD connected to the WD which is connected to a HDMI splitter then to the TV. I have DL’d the ‘srt’ files associated to a film, makiing sure the filename is the same except for the extension, but it doesn’t work.

So not sure how to resolve it.

At the moment, I remove the usb for my HD from the WD and connect it to my laptop to transfer films/music etc, as streaming it via the laptop takes ages on 5gb files, I was just wondering if there was a quicker/easier way other than having the laptop on the floor and connecting it the HD to transfer.

Thanks.

Jamee wrote:

I have DL’d the ‘srt’ files associated to a film, makiing sure the filename is the same except for the extension, but it doesn’t work…

Ok, sorry, may be a dumb question, but have you remembered to turn the subtitle track on?  

I think I may be stupid as I thought you just press the subtitle button on the remote??!??!:flushed:

Yes, that’s all that’s necessary…  

Or, alternatively, you can press OPTIONS during playback, and select SUBTITLES from the pop-up menu.

If you do the latter, does the Subtitles option not appear?