FLAC Multichannel Decoding Error

I do not have a lot of APE files. I have standarized on FLAC. But other than the multi-channel files I do not recall having any problems with any other sound formats. Are you saying that you are successfully decoding multi-channel FLAC files?

The WD TV Live does not have any problems with 2 channel FLAC files. The problem arises with multi-channel (e.g. surround sound) FLAC files.

After some specific questions posed to WD tech support, they have confirmed that the WD TV live is suppose to support multi-channel FLAC files, but that the failure to decode them properly is a know firmware issue. There does not appear to be a target date for fixing the issue.

Multi-channel audio files have tags that identify the channel to speaker mapping. My suspicion is that the WD TV live is either not processing the tags or misinterpreting them.

I should add that although the WD TV live decodes 5.1 surround wav files properly (I haven’t tested 6.1 or higher), it definitely does not decode 5.0 or 4.0 wav files. You might ask why would you want to. It turns out that I have a number of old 4 channel encoded vinyls that I want to run through my preamp/4 channel decoder and convert/digitize to 4.0 wav files and hopefully to 4.0 FLAC.eventually.