FLAC Multichannel Decoding Error

Shortly after I posted, a forum moderator arranged for a WD customer service rep to contact me. In the interest of anyone else experiencing the same problem and searching the posts for a solution, I plan to post whatever feedback I get.

The following is the detail I provided to WD:

"The media player I own is:

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Gen 3 2011 NTSC)

P/N:        WDBHG70000NBK-01

S/N:        [Deleted]

Firmware:    2.02.32

The Audio/Video setup I use is:

Video Output:    HDMI (Auto)

Aspect Ratio:    Widescreen

Audio Output:    Digital Pass-Through via HDMI Only

Auto Detect

Dolby Digital            Channel: 6 Sample: 32 44 48 88 96

Dolby Digital Plus    Channel: 8 Sample: 32 44 48 88 96

DTS                           Channel: 7 Sample: 32 44 48 88 96

Dolby TrueHD          Channel: 8 Sample: 32 44 48 88 96

PCM                         Channel: 8 Sample: 32 44 48 88 96

HDMI CEC:    On

DD Dynamic Range Control:    Off

The media player is connected to a Pioneer VSX-1123-K AV Receiver, which supports the above audio media streams.

The media file I am using to test the media player surround sound support is a 24 bit 48 kHz WAV (PCM) file obtained from http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/. The characteristics of the file as displayed by MediaInfo are:

Format                                   : Wave

File size                                : 7.46 MiB

Duration                                 : 9s 49ms

Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant

Overall bit rate                         : 6 913 Kbps

Audio

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings, Endianness              : Little

Format settings, Sign                    : Signed

Codec ID                                 : 00001000-0000-0100-8000-00AA00389B71

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 6 912 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 6 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Back: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 24 bits

Stream size                              : 7.46 MiB (100%)

When this file is processed by the media player, the AV receiver recognizes an incoming PCM stream and the correct channel/speaker output sequence is heard:

Channel    1      2       3     4        5      6

WAV         FL    FR    C    LFE    BL    BR

When I convert this file to FLAC using libFLAC 1.3.0, the characteristics of the FLAC file as displayed by MediaInfo are:

Format                                   : FLAC

Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec

File size                                : 332 KiB

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 300 Kbps

Audio

Format                                   : FLAC

Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 293 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 6 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Back: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 24 bits

Stream size                              : 323 KiB (98%)

Writing library                          : libFLAC 1.3.0 (UTC 2013-05-26)

Further, viewing this file in Audacity confirms that the correct channel/speaker relationship has been maintained.

When this file is processed by the media player, the AV receiver again recognizes the PCM stream, but this time the channel/speaker output sequence is in error:

Channel    1        2      3      4        5      6

FLAC         FL    FR    BL   BR     C      LFE

(Another indicator that the WAV to FLAC conversion was accurate, if the FLAC file is converted back to a WAV file and since this is a lossless process, the resultant WAV file is processed correctly by the media player.)

It isn’t clear from the WD Community posts that I was able to find, if this is an error with the WD TV Live firmware, or if the WD TV live just doesn’t support FLAC surround sound files period.

Another surround sound audio file error that I have experienced, which may or may not be related, is that 5.0 WAV files are processed and sent to the AV receiver as stereo files. It isn’t clear from my AV receiver display whether it is receiving a stereo PCM stream or some other format. I haven’t done enough tests to determine if the multiple channels have been mixed together or if the receiver is only receiving two channels, and which ones.   If you wish I can submit that problem as a separate problem."

I received a form letter advising me that the information would be passed on to WD engineers but that there was no guarantee if or when a solution would be made available. I received no feedback whether the WD TV Live was designed to support FLAC multi-channel and this was a firmware problem, or if the device just wasn’t designed with this feature.

ndjamena:

As you can see from the Mediainfo listings, the channel/speaker layout appears to be the same in the original WAV and the converted FLAC file. I thought that maybe the absence of a channel mask in the tag of the original FLAC created was an issue so I added what I believe was the correct channel mask for a 5.1 mapping but that did not change any of the results.

On the surface, it looks like the WD TV Live reads the FLAC file, and then streams the PCM content to the HDMI output with the channel/speaker relationship in the wrong sequence.